šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Jane's Addiction

They might have looked it but they weā€™re so much more interesting than their peers.

Give this a try

5 Likes

Easy 5 for the first two albums, havenā€™t heard the ones theyā€™ve done since. Ted, Just Admit It is such a weird incredible jam.

3 Likes

was gutted when they pulled out of Leeds Fest when they were due to headline the second stage

yeah this does sound a bit more atmospheric than I was expecting, I think it still suffers from the fact that the guitars sound so thin and digital and the singerā€™s voice is kinda ā€œnerr ner ne nerrr nerrrā€ if you know what I mean.

1 Like

I was standing in front of the stage at Reading Festival when Dave came out and announced that Perry had lost his voice and they couldnā€™t play.

I was devastated, it was the second time theyā€™d cancelled on me (The first was in Melbourne). In despair, I turned to the people behind me a said that Iā€™d been wanting to see them live for 18 years.
To which some girl replied
ā€œGod! How old are you?ā€
I slouched off and felt broken by life. Hope the rest of her day was shit :smiley:

13 Likes

Wasnā€™t expecting such a high amount of votes for Just Because before I clicked the Vote button. Most pleasing. Always really liked that video too, simple but effective.

4 Likes

Not for me etc.

Think theyā€™re awful tbh.

1 Like

Pleased to see so many positive comments, I had a feeling they were pretty uncool at this point. Probably from pictures like the one in the OP. Good lord.

5 for me. Big band of my youth these lads. I managed to catch them a couple of times post-reunion, at Leeds fest and Doncaster Dome of all places, and they were amazing both times. Nothings Shocking/Ritual is an incredible 1-2 few bands can match. Strays was a bit patchy but Just Because is as good a return single as I can remember. Pretty sure Iā€™ve never heard The Great Escape Artist - not sure I can be bothered to change that. Itā€™s not going to match Shocking/Ritual, is it?

1 Like

2 Likes

couple of my pals absolutely love them, i think theyā€™re dreadful and canā€™t stand farrels voice. will bump them up to a 2 for my pals.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve got a few good songs, but as a band they donā€™t exactly speak to me, they seem essentially a terrible hair metal band who took enough of the right drugs to make some vaguely interesting stuff

2.5 rounded up to 3

Still heartbroken that my sisterā€™s copy of ā€œThe Cabinet Of Curiositiesā€ got destroyed in a house fire.

Donā€™t really know enough of them to vote, really liked the single Just Because but when I listened to the whole album it didnā€™t do much for me. They along with Mew supported Nine Inch Nails at Manchester Arena in 2009 but I was still annoyed at missing all of Mew bar the closing notes of Comforting Sounds as I walked into the arena so wasnā€™t up for them at all. NIN were bloody great though obvs. Abstain/5

Give Nothingā€™s Shocking a go. Think you might like it.

Wholeheartedly agree with this, and also want to take this as an opportunity to mention the album he made with Dave Navarro after the (first) breakup of Janeā€™s. It was called Deconstruction and was a great mix of styles of early 90s alt rock. The songs shift in style and tone a lot, even inside individual tracks, so it sort of keeps you on your toes. He has a very deadpan almost Ian Curtis-like baritone and Dave just absolutely goes to town on guitar solos. It is one of my very favourite albums in the world, and wish it was more widely available to listen to.

Full album is also on YouTube. Well well well worth your time, particularly if you are a Janeā€™s fan.

Gibby Haynes of Butthole Surfers also makes an appearance at one point.

2 Likes

Pretty much word for word the same for me. Do think Jane Says is a fantastic song though tbf. They can have a two for that and their admittedly brilliant rhythm section

Great band, amazing live. When i saw them they had dancers swinging from ropes over the stage like 50 feet in the air. Was headbanging so hard during Mountain Song that I hit my buddies shoulder and almost knocked myself out. Ritual is an all timer record.

4/5

7 Likes

Been dreading this thread.

Absolutely fucking brilliant. One of the best bands of all time imo.

Iā€™ll be off now.

1 Like

No

Iā€™ve just listened to Somethingā€™s and Ritual this morning. :smiley:

Theyā€™re still great. Itā€™s so weird that they were forging this sound, which is kinda 90ā€™s alt rock in the middle of the LA glam scene. God knows what the hairspray set thought of it.
Itā€™s also crazy just how young Dave Navarro was when Janeā€™s started, he couldnā€™t be in the clubs they were playing. He would have to come in play and leave because it was still a teenager.

Just listen to this and pretend the sun isnā€™t trying to kill you.

5 Likes