🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 John Coltrane/Alice Coltrane

oh shit just two more?!

Retirement will come at 250 I think.

1 Like

Or whenever we run out of artists and end up rating that sea shanty lad.

1 Like

That’s the exception. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Missed it fuck, would have voted 5 for each.

Louis Armstrong

1 Like

Has to be a 5/5 for Watermelon Man alone.

2 Likes

I STILL BELIEVE!

I

STILL
BE
LIEVE
!
!
!

looking forward to this myself when i hit my 60s

2 Likes

“I have seen God – I have seen ungodly – none can be greater – none can compare to God.”
John Coltrane composed these words in December 1964, as part of a poem he called ‘A Love Supreme.’ He included the poem in the inside gatefold of an album by the same name, released the following year. That same year, a young couple in San Francisco heard Coltrane in concert, sharing a jolt of higher purpose when he seemed to fix them in his sights with the bell of his saxophone.
That couple, Franzo and Marina King, went on to establish a church devoted to Coltrane and his spiritual message, incorporating ‘A Love Supreme’ as their chief liturgical text. Their house of worship — known today as the St. John Will-I-Am Coltrane African Orthodox Church — has survived decades of change in a gentrifying city, while making a few notable revisions to its charter.
In this 20-minute documentary short, Jazz Night in America pays a visit to the Coltrane Church, thoughtfully tracing its winding history — including a tumultuous period when Alice Coltrane, John’s widow, bestowed and then revoked her support. We’ll delve into the spiritual mysteries of ‘A Love Supreme,’ from “Acknowledgment” to “Psalm,” and consider what it means to be of service — to a calling, to a community, and to the music that sparked it all. - NATE CHINEN

1 Like

Feel the word ‘accidentally’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this sentence.

1 Like

Any Alice fans out there might be interested to hear that Impulse are releasing a new edition of Turiya Sings later this year. Never previously commercially released before accept on an ultra rare, semi-official cassette.

6 Likes

Been listening to some Alice today. I’m a massive John Coltrane fan and love everything her nephew has put his hand too, but I always neglect to listen to her as much as I do them. Need to change that, so i’ve started her discography again and starting at the beginning.

Both her and John would have got an easy 5 from me.

2 Likes

I’d say drop everything and listen to Ptah, The El Daoud but you’ll get there soon enough!

3 Likes

Don’t miss out The Elements by Joe Henderson, one of the rare 70s albums with Alice Coltrane prominently featured on a record released under someone else’s name. It’s an astonishing album that fits right in with her discography.

2 Likes