šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Joni Mitchell

What score did you give Shrewbs?

Donā€™t like that song, and it makes me think of the much, much worse counting crows version. Double bad

2 Likes

Both Sides Now is a wonderful song

3 Likes

ā€¦wouldā€™ve actually alleviated congestion on the outskirts of paradise

3 Likes

It makes me want to open an actual tree museum.

(given 5s to her, bowie, outkast and kate bush, 3 to nirvana and 4 to the others)

4 Likes

Iā€™m doing this now

1 Like

Got Blue on now. Itā€™s nice - think Iā€™d need the right context for this to really land though - not sure itā€™s really in its element while I work on SQL. Like I wish Iā€™d had this for when we drove round Utah last year - would have been lovely.

Listening to the style, itā€™s clearly got a hugely important lineage through to more recent records that Iā€™ve fallen in love with like ā€˜Not Even Happinessā€™ by Julie Byrne.

Voice is lovely in a very ā€˜classicā€™ way.

Not gonna vote today but glad to have been directed to finally listen to her.

2 Likes

Stick me in the Doesnā€™t Know Enough To Vote pile

2 Likes

Yeah Julie Byrne is definitely a massive Joni mark

3 Likes

everybody ended up listening to placebo iirc, so that was nice

2 Likes

I donā€™t really like it Iā€™m afraid.

Itā€™s got the following problems which are fundamental aesthetic sensibilities that I donā€™t like:

1. The reverb on the guitar
  2. That sort of slide guitar (but itā€™s not actually called that, pedal-steel maybe?) guitar whine thing that I absolutely cannot stomach
  3. Sounds like sheā€™s singing a melody unrelated to the music that itā€™s being sung over
  4. Feels like an odd time signature or something? (Again, not really equipped with the vocab for accuracy here)

However, her voice is very nice and the lyrics seemed to have a poetry to them that I could see being appealing.

I mean, Iā€™ve not listened to Dylan either. Or Hendrix. Just a period of music which Iā€™ve not explored.

hard to choose a fav song but always been a bit obsessed with this

the ā€˜the wires in the walls are hummingā€™ vocal bit stops me dead every time

3 Likes

Aye Iā€™ve heard more Mitchell than Hendrix and Dylanā€¦ or Bob Marley or may other bands from the 50s/60s/70s its an era of music that doesnā€™t really hone in on my taste with few exceptions (one of those being Blue)

1 Like

Oh just remembered this tune. Takes my breath away.

3 Likes

Hejira and The Hissing of Summer Lawns are absolutely incredible - would sound fresh and innovative if they came out today. The run of records from Ladies of the Canyon through Hejira is unfuckwithable. She was one of my father in lawā€™s favourite artists and Iā€™ve gotten massively into her stuff over the past 3 years or so.

6 Likes

Have loved everything Iā€™ve heard. Court And Spark and Hissing Of Summer Lawns are two favourites. An absolutely battered copy of Hejira found its way into rotation in our house before as well and I loved it.

Really need to listen to more of her albums. Iā€™ve never heard Blue. I have the live album Miles Of Aisles on LP but itā€™s only okay and my CD copy of Mingus remains unplayed as it is stuck in Clonmel.

Iā€™ve given her a 4/5 as I need to listen to more of her albums but I could easily change that to a 5/5 if I heard more.

2 Likes

After some thought I think river is the best joni Mitchell song. Thanks

6 Likes

Iā€™d take Little Green off Blue. But equally thereā€™s not really much between the two so Iā€™m happy to take them all.