🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Joy Division

A Joy Division hgatr? This is the way, step inside.

Suede do okish

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Talking Heads 4.39
R.E.M. 4.38
Beastie Boys 4.36
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Beatles 4.31
Pixies 4.30
Leonard Cohen 4.30
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Aphex Twin 4.18
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Public Enemy 4.08
Pulp 4.08
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Kendrick Lamar 3.97
Bob Dylan 3.97
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
LCD Soundsystem 3.92
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
The Clash 3.77
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
The Ramones 3.67
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Arcade Fire 3.64
Blur 3.61
The Smiths 3.57
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Idlewild 3.42
Madonna 3.40
Manic Street Preachers 3.39
Fleetwood Mac 3.39
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
The White Stripes 3.34
Supergrass 3.32
The Smashing Pumpkins 3.30
Suede 3.30
Elton John 3.28
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
The Prodigy 3.18
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Pink Floyd 3.15
Jay-Z 3.14
Taylor Swift 3.14
Interpol 3.12
The Rolling Stones 3.09
Destiny’s Child 3.05
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3.00
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Belle And Sebastian 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Green Day 2.81
Madness 2.80
Basement Jaxx 2.75
The Jam 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Whitney Houston 2.69
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.60
Billy Joel 2.57
Bloc Party 2.41
Eminem 2.38
Mariah Carey 2.32
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05
Red Hot Chili Peppers 1.90
The Spice Girls 1.81

Joy Division then…

0 voters

• Unknown Pleasures
  • Closer

0 voters

From the ‘Permanent’ compilation

• Love Will Tear Us Apart
  • Transmission
  • She’s Lost Control
  • Shadowplay
  • Day of the Lords
  • Isolation
  • Passover
  • Heart and Soul
  • Twenty Four Hours
  • These Days
  • Novelty
  • Dead Souls
  • The Only Mistake
  • Something Must Break
  • Atmosphere

0 voters

And a reminder of the full playlist featuring all 89 acts previously featured

Probably a 5. Read the Jon Savage book whenever it was released and apart from Morris the rest seem like they were/are various shades of being a bit dickish.

1 Like

Probably a 4 in all honesty. Hugely influencial, but can leave me cold in patches.

5 Likes

Two perfect albums, 5/5.

11 Likes

Not sure on this one tbh. Will take the opportunity to listen to the albums and read the comments, which I’m sure will be pretty intense.

I like both the albums and Substance, whilst by it’s nature patchy, is an interesting insight into the development of a band.

Don’t actually have any desire to hear Love Will Tear Us Apart ever again tbh. Yes it’s wonderful, just you know I’ve heard it 50,000 times.

Summary

Technique was quite possibly the first good album I bought at the time of release so I have far more of an emotional attachment to NO and have listened to them far more over the years. JD I actually only ever listened to to any great degree over one very specific period in my life when I had a journey to take every day and I’d listened to the 2 albums on that journey. So pretty much listened to JD everyday for maybe 8 or 9 months but barely at all before or since.

4 Likes

Don’t like the vocal, sounds like someone doing a silly voice to me.

2 Likes

Easy 5. As close to a perfect discography as any band I can think of.

Very hard to chose between the two albums. UP is more thrilling and its ‘highs’ are possibly higher, but it does have the odd flat spot. The songwriting on Closer is more sophisticated, the sound more developed and you don’t get the sense that you get occasionally on UP of the songs being overwhelmed by the production. I went for Closer, although I’d probably be more likely to put UP on (Closer is so powerful it’s almost stressful to listen to).

Single was easy - Atmosphere is possibly the greatest record ever made and still thrills me as much now as it did 30 odd years ago when I first heard it.

8 Likes

One of my favourites. Almost 100% good output. Not bad as New Order either :wink:

We know Ian Curtis was an awkward cunt, voted Tory, made his wife’s hell etc.and Hooky and Bernard are as bad as each other, but the music was amazing.

50/50 split between Transmission and Love Will Tear Us Apart for best song. I see some NIN fans have voted already :wink:

Man, you’d better not try out them crooners.

In my opinion “a crooner” has got to be one of the biggest scams going. Fair play to the lads, they’re doing well out of it but buying a suit and then singing normally shouldn’t be as big a recipe for success as it is.

2 Likes

Always found this extra strange given the job he did before JD took off.

2 Likes

He must have been speaking to Morrissey for a long time in the queue outside the Lesser Free Trade Hall.

7 Likes

Don’t forget the hat.

1 Like

Four from me, probably a 4.5 rounded down really. Some absolute brilliance, but they’ve never quite clicked enough with me for a five, and if I do give them a five, where do I go when New Order come up?
The single choice is very tough. It is obviously the Licht Und Blindheit record, given that Atmosphere and Dead Souls is maybe the best double whammy of A and B side ever (and then they added She’s Lost Control on the UK 12” - ooof), but which is best? I reckon Atmosphere might just shade it for the spangly keyboard part.

5 Likes

4 for me. One of those bands whose talent and influence is obvious, but I’ve never felt a real emotional connection to, and it’s not often I’ll actually listen to them (though did go through a phase of rinsing Unknown Pleasures a few years back and that is a great album).

4 Likes

4, never fully got into them but the singles are tremendous.

New Dawn Fades completely destroys me every time

8 Likes

Both albums are patchy, but it’s remarkable how many bands have copied them but still not gotten close to JD’s magic formula. Transmission still sounds like it’s come from somewhere else. Remarkable song.

3 Likes