đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Joy Division

Think Radiohead have suffered for this as well.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m completely ambivalent on the beastie boys and if I had to listen to them more often I’d probably have given them a 2. As it is they’re easy to ignore and I can’t remember the last time I heard one of their songs so I didn’t vote

1 Like

It’s a leap from ‘they’re a bit overrated’ to ‘I’ll give them a low mark to redress the balance’. People can be simultaneously ‘overrated’ and ‘still very good’ (I would say this applies to Radiohead).

For the Beasties specifically I’d say that you would expect them to rate highly as they’re a very DiS band but they also got a positivity boost from being the first thread back after the lockdown.

Whichever ever way you look at it, it’s a bit embarrassing that DiS rates them as by far and away the greatest hip hop artists of all time though.

Baffles me why it would be embarrassing. Its not Q Magazine/Pitchfork/Quietus/Mojo/whoever listing the best or most influential artists, it’s just supposed to be readers of a website saying who they most enjoy listening to.
One look at the albums of the month/year threads show DiS doesnt have the same tastes as most other sites. Most of us are probably here because mainstream music sites don’t cover the
breadth of music we prefer.

Anyway, have really enjoyed reading this thread. Some fascinating stuff.

2 Likes

I just think it doesn’t speak well to the musical knowledge and taste of DiSers, but that’s a subjective judgement. To adopt your comparison, if I saw a magazine or critical website assert the same thing I would pretty much ignore any further critical assessment they made of anything.

Would it not depend on whether or was an editorial or a readers poll?

I know a good few folk who don’t like both dylan and young for various reasons (main reason being they’re idiots :wink: ) but they always take a lot more joy in telling me just how much they can’t stand dylan over young. I always assumed it was because i’m a big dylan fan and they’re looking for an argument. :thinking:

Would only really describe Beastie Boys as hip hop artists for their first two albums (and Licensed To Ill was very much aimed at the crossover market - most hip hop albums don’t have guitar solos by Kerry King all over them). They completely reinvented themselves in the 90s and were far more of a fusion band from then on. Not really hard to see why they would appeal to a broader base than just hip hop fans.

DIS’ favourite hip hop artist is definitely Wu Tang Clan, imo

3 Likes

It depends where the other critical judgements are going to be coming from - on here all the critical judgements come from the posters (we are the writers of the site) so by analogy this is an editorial poll.

While I think there’s a lot of good points here the things I would question are:

1. who cares what the critical pantheon is (ironic for me to say I know), it’s not the be all and end all of music taste.

2. Beasties probably scored well because of that exact demographic I’m talking about, and as @anon9806217 says, it’s a bit simplistic to label them as just a hip-hop band, they started off as a hardcore punk (lol) band ffs

I don’t really see much in common between Dylan and Neil Young

3 Likes

if you like books and words, go with Bob Dylan, if you like music and feelings, go with Neil Young

1 Like

I get what you mean, Dylan had more of a lyrical focus than NY particularly at the beginning. Dylan’s just more of the New York beatnik tradition coming out of Pete Seeger and Guthrie and then later mixing in gospel and southern blues influences to create more of a jugband sound. Neil Young was more rock n roll mixing with classical folk/country down the line, and then pushing those boundaries further down noisier and rawer directions. Much more experimentation from NY at any point really. Think you could hear 3 seconds of a tune by either and know which one it was.

2 Likes

yeah I don’t think they are that similar other than the time period and production, needing to use an acoustic guitar etc

we don’t live in an era where you can only buy and listen to music from like 10 artists from your local record shop so it’s stupid to have a pantheon, canon, or listen to critics opinions on music if you are confident in your own taste.

Don’t know why we need to cling on to something that has outlived it’s usefulness

3 Likes

I wasn’t saying that they sounded the same, merely that there are similarities in the broad ‘demographics’ sense - they are both white singer-songwriter guitarists from
North America with unconventional singing voices who started their careers in the 60s and have carried on since. They’ve got more in common with each other than either has with, say, The Beastie Boys or Björk.

Got to be a pretty big crossover in their fans too, I would imagine. I guess for me they occupy a pretty similar space in a kind of post-60s ‘Great American Songbook’ (sorry Neil), though as Ruffers says they’ve always been on pretty divergent paths sonically. That said, I could imagine an alternate world where something like Zuma was Bob Dylan record. Can’t really get on board with the idea that NY’s always been more experimental than BD though.

or as the saying goes, “if you like your words sung, go with Young; if there’s pages a-fillin’, go with Dylan”

6 Likes