🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Joy Division

I can go with that. And Dylan’s recent material is basically a jukebox of songs that sound like they’ve been around since before he was born. It’s almost funny, much as I love the guy.

I don’t think demographics are irrelevant either - my guess is that for a fair number of DiSers Dylan and Young represent the music of their parents and that has an effect on how you see those artists (regardless of how readily available music from all eras is now - which obviously does make a difference).

1 Like

I know, that’s why I was trying to give some more tangible (I think) musical differences fwiw

1 Like

Totally this. The vast majority of people used to own a handful of records and you could pretty much work out their age on that collection or guess 80% of their collection based on age. A few years younger they’d have Tapestry and Sweet Baby James, a bit younger than that Abba & Fleetwood Mac.

Probably started to blur with CDs and now a total irrelevance to streaming generations but it still shapes how many people think about artists and how the get written about I think.

Holy shit 4.15 wow, shocker here. Sorry missed this one, good band but severely high ranking for limited releases imo. At this rate Traveling Wilbury’s surely a 4.5 then no?

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

All right 4.49 touche

3 Likes

I find it astonishing that songs as great as ‘Atmosphere’ & ‘Dead Souls’ were chucked away on a very limited Belgian single. Mental.

6 Likes

I think JD have an almost uniquely revered status in the UK, wouldn’t have been surprised if they’d scored higher tbh.

1 Like

He sure did love Belgium eh

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this, shows how fantastic Martin Hannet was

1 Like

Late reply but you can’t use ‘limited releases’ as an argument against a band whose singer died marginally over a year after their debut album, didn’t include their singles on their albums, left more classic material like Ceremony, In A Lonely Place, etc etc

Sure i can.

2 Likes

David Holmes did a rework of In a Lonely Place. Coming out on Andrew Weatherall’s anniversary

3 Likes