🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Kendrick Lamar

Morning! Time to assign an arbitrary numerical value to yet another musical artist I reckon!

Here’s how things stand after a lower than expected score for The Clash

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Beatles 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
The Clash 3.77
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
The Smashing Pumpkins 3.3
Elton John 3.28
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Jay-Z 3.14
Taylor Swift 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Green Day 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

And we move on. Today is all about Kendrick

What’s the score then?

0 voters

Album

• Section.80
  • Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
  • To Pimp A Butterfly
  • Damn

0 voters

Single

• Swimming Pools (Drank)
  • Backseat Freestyle
  • Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe
  • i
  • The Blacker The Berry
  • King Kunta
  • Alright
  • These Walls
  • Untitled 07
  • Humble
  • Loyalty
  • Love
  • All The Stars
  • King’s Dead
  • Pray For Me

0 voters

Not a big fan tbh

6 Likes

I have no big thing to say except he is amazing, and the run of the last three albums is just incredible. The storytelling on Good Kid, the instrumentation and sentiment of To Pimp, Damn. too. Have to listen to them today…

I think there’s somebody in this room

4 Likes

Always thought Money Trees was a single turns out it wasn’t but got to 19 on the Billboard chart.

Wasn’t that much of a fan until I saw him at Primavera. Utterly spectacular and his back band are something special as well.

Went over this in the artist of the decade thread, but the rampant casual misogyny makes him unlistenable for me. Scoring a 1 because there isn’t a zero option

Love the early mixtapes and Section.80.
Love TPAB.
Never gelled with GKMC - just can’t get on with the production at all - and similar issues with Damn. I can appreciate his rapping on both, but just don’t find them enjoyable listens.

Overall, it’s a 4 from me. Clearly hugely important and I do really like him as a rapper but production choices too often veer towards styles of hip-hop which just don’t work for me.

1 Like

Average, but I’m not a huge hip-hop fan.

Looking forward to when @Antpocalypsenow does his summary post :slight_smile:

Only really properly sat down with TPAB and Damn but both are absolutely masterful in every sense. Love how engaging and urgent his flow is plus the production on those records is wild! He seems like a really good egg too.

So have gone for a 4 as I should explore the rest of his catalogue.

thought TPAB would grow on me, but it never did. felt like it was decided on release day that it was a classic because it was ‘important’ and that was final. no time for untitled unmastered either, but love everything else.

big fan of how he never phones it in on his guest verses as well, hardly ever gets outrapped on whatever track he appears on

this one is nuts. imagine doing a verse this mad on someone else’s song, love it:

1 Like

oh yeah, cartoons and cereal is his best song imo

3 Likes

Gone with a 4: can’t really fault him, don’t really love him.

Brilliant, obviously. 5.

7 Likes

I don’t really get all the mad love for him but I’ve not listened to much so I’m not going to vote.

5/5
true artist

muting thread

12 Likes

Threads not muted till you’ve told everyone.

TPAB is like nothing else by anyone, except maybe MBDTF. If anything it’s even more ambitious and it lands at least 90% of the time.

GKMC is also a clear 5/5 for me, tempered by becoming the de facto soundtrack to one of the better years of my life.

Damn… still doesn’t click with me as well as the other two. It’s good, maybe even great, but after the world swallowing ambition of TPAB, it seems relatively empty.

1 Like