🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Lady Gaga

It’s Sunday morning, so time for another one of these things!

Here’s the thing. A slightly lower than expected score for Prince

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Stevie Wonder 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
Blondie 3.73
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Madonna 3.4
Rihanna 3.19
Jay-Z 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Oasis 2.71
Queen 2.6
Blink-182 2.21

And so let’s move on. Today’s HGATR is Lady Gaga

What’s the verdict then?

0 voters

Album

• The Fame
  • Born This Way
  • Artpop
  • Cheek To Cheek
  • Joanne

0 voters

Single

• Just Dance
  • Poker Face
  • LoveGame
  • Paparazzi
  • Bad Romance
  • Telephone
  • Alejandro
  • Born This Way
  • Judas
  • The Edge Of Glory
  • You And I
  • Marry The Night
  • Applause
  • Do What U Want
  • Perfect Illusion
  • Million Reasons
  • The Cure
  • Shallow
  • Always Remember Us This Way

0 voters

1/5. not really worth an effort post but i once saw a take about how she’s an avatar for a certain kind of rapacious american narcissism and it always stuck with me. i will try to dig it up.

also she has a shite voice and annoying songs.

3 Likes

OMG YASSS QWEEN 5/5

5 Likes

Serious or a bit?

Open to having my views changed on Lady Gaga. Quite like a couple of her songs but I can’t help but feel like the image/iconography is greater than the end product. Going with a 3.

Big respect for her art but it doesn’t move me really. Tend not to actively dislike her music and would be happy enough to dance to it at a wedding disco. Feels culturally important. 2/5 for me.

3 Likes

Really had to think about this one. I think she’s quite a fascinating character, very good politically and does a lot of good. I like her defiant commitment to whatever she’s doing and her art. The documentary on her on Netflix is really interesting. She’s an immensely talented pianist too. But there’s something about the actual music that doesn’t quite do it for me. There’s a few bangers but a lot of it never clicked. 3 I think.

2 Likes

Think her marketing has been better than any other artist of recent years. Her music is incredibly one-paced and dull when separated from her image (even if some of the production is really well done)

2/5. Her music is a closer to a one for me but she’s had some good opinions on lgbt stuff and seems a decent person so I’m taking her up to a two.

9 Likes

I also think it’s good that stuff outside of music is being discussed in these threads now, and not in a way that’s lead to any nasty arguments. I think if Bowie had been done now rather than being the first one he’d probably score a bit lower.

3 Likes

Yeah, she has a couple of bangers but overall she’s been a bit Matalan Madonna at times in her music career.

I gave her 2 also

1 Like

Yeah, this. I think having these threads has opened up the way we discuss these artists, especially the problematic or revered ones and developed and progressed along the way.

1 Like

I don’t feel like anyone’s scored people lower as a result of these discussions though. I think people just didn’t rate Prince as highly. Not necessarily a surprise as I don’t think he was ever as big in the UK.

Well myself and a couple others withdrew their scores on Jimi Hendrix when we found out about his domestic abuse. That brings the aggregate score down.

Without Bowie being a paedo I’d have also given him 5/5.

Bad Romance is amazing, I like Paparazzi as well. The rest is pretty mediocre but the fact she does everything she does in chronic pain is astonishing and she deserves so much admiration for it.

7 Likes

Missed her Super Bowl half time show because I was in a queue to get yard-long margaritas. I stand by my decision. 3/5

1 Like

Oh right.

TBH it’s probably just that none of this stuff was new to me and when I read discussions it seemed like that was true of everyone else and mainly the discussion was how much we each factored it into our grading.

But I’m not sure why Bowie would be lower since we did discuss his paedophillic issues in there didn’t we?

Telephone is her best thing

1 Like

Same, i respect her artistry and other than about 2 songs, its not for me

1 Like