🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Led Zeppelin

Morning all. Ready for another? Don’t care we’re doing it anyway.

Wu-Tang become the highest scoring hip hop act so far…

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
Blondie 3.73
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
Jay-Z 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Blink-182 2.21

So let’s move on to Led Zeppelin

What do we reckon then? And let’s have a nice thread with no communication breakdown ok?

0 voters

Album

• Led Zeppelin
  • Led Zeppelin II
  • Led Zeppelin III
  • Led Zeppelin IV
  • Houses Of The Holy
  • Physical Graffiti
  • Presence
  • In Through The Out Door

0 voters

Song (from the ‘Mothership’ compilation)

• Good Times Bad Times
  • Communication Breakdown
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
  • Whole Lotta Love
  • Ramble On
  • Heartbreaker
  • Immigrant Song
  • Since I’ve Been Loving You
  • Rock and Roll
  • Black Dog
  • When the Levee Breaks
  • Stairway to Heaven
  • The Song Remains the Same
  • Over the Hills and Far Away
  • D’yer Mak’er
  • No Quarter
  • Trampled Under Foot
  • Houses of the Holy
  • Kashmir
  • Nobody’s Fault but Mine
  • Achilles Last Stand
  • In the Evening
  • All My Love

0 voters

Never got the fuss about “the Led”. Immigrant song is good but that’s about it for me

Like Bowie, Jimmy Page slept with underage girls (or at least one?) to get that out there.

I will probably give Led Zep a 3 maybe even a 2. They have some great songs but so much other stuff that I’m really not bothered about.

Shit Zeppelin

1 Like

Great musicians but generally leave me a bit cold. Some great stuff though and better than most of the other ‘classic’ bands of the era. 3.

God, dunno. One of my favourite rhythm sections of all time, one of my least favourite guitarists of all time. Like everything up to IV, don’t like the later wanky stuff.

Maybe a 3? I need to think about this.

A 2 from me. Just don’t really get it. I quite like Immigrant Song and Babe I’m Gonna Leave You but nearly all the rest bores me to tears.

III and Physical Graffiti are great. Not bothered about the rest.

Just remembered I saw the building off the Physical Grafitti cover when I went on a tour of New York. Most of the other people were going crazy about it and having their pictures taken. I just took one photo that I haven’t looked at since. Just a big house isn’t it?

i love them.

so there.

13 Likes

3/5

Were hugely important to the formation of teenage rich-t’s musical taste. Like everything up to Physical Graffiti. Houses of the Holy is very underrated

Ha! Nailed it.

1 Like

I mean I was tempted to give them a 5 just for rescuing Thor: Ragnarok from middling MCU land with the music on that one sequence

1 Like

4/5

Obv great when they’re great but their early stuff is a bit blues cover band and the later stuff is boring. All about the mid-era mellotron light prog stuff. Top three albums: IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti. Best song is probably rain song.

2 Likes

HGWIR Thor Ragnarok 5/5

2 Likes

I listened to them a lot as a teenager discovering music but then had a mate who was a drummer who just went on and on and on about Bonham being the best drummer ever and zeppelin the best band. Totally overplayed them until I couldn’t stand them any more.

And then I found out about all the underage predatory behaviour, stealing songs without credit etc.

So fuck 'em. 1/5.

3 for me. They are alright can never see why they are so highly thought of now, probably because the press were originally a bit sniffy about them and they have been trying to right that ever since.

It is obvious that as musicians they were massivley proficient

Feels like the biggest band that I really have virtually never come across (musically). I know a grand total of one of their songs - Stairway to Heaven, obvs - and wasn’t sure I would actually recognise it. Turns out I do, but I wouldn’t have been able to tell you how it goes from memory at all.

Quite obviously not voting here but I get the impression I would not like them at all. Prog is the worst. The 70s are just so uninteresting to me.