🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Leonard Cohen

Fivey Fivey Five Five.

Remember hearing REM cover first we take manhattan on a bootleg cassette when I was about fifteen and thinking it was their best song then being floored when I found out it was a cover.

1 Like

“Charlie and Hattie, the divine Webb sisters” gentle applause
“Dino Soldo on the instrument of wind” gentle applause
“Our timekeeper and centurion, Rafael Bernado Gayol on percussion” gentle applause

6 Likes

I like him, but I feel like I should like him more than I actually do like him. I’ve tried getting into him but it’s never gripped particularly. So it’s a 4 rather than a 5 from me.

3 Likes

James did a cracking version of So Long Marianne

But I prefer this dude’s version of Hallelujah and his Tower of Song is better than The Mary Chain’s.

Didn’t Hallelujah soundtrack a sex scene in Watchmen?

Leonard Cohen’s the fucking man. Love him.

So many great tracks, such great lyrics, such a stunning evocative voice.

First time i heard him was when christian slater played everybody knows in the film pump up the volume when i was about 12. I remember hearing it and thinking ‘wow, this sounds fucking unlike anything’

Was lucky enough enough to catch him at glastonbury a while back, man he held what must have been 100’000 people in the palm of his hand, beautiful.

Easy peasy 5.

8 Likes

Yeah this. What I’ve heard is great, but, I don’t know enough by him to give a 5. So a 4/5 it is.

1 Like

Also, what I’ve heard is great, but not sufficiently gripping enough for me to want to spend a whole bunch of time exploring his back catalogue. Ditto Richard Thompson.

Pretty much this. Like, I can see what people dig about him but he’s never really done it for me in a big way. Mate of mine absolutely loves him so I’ve heard a fair bit over the years, just never really connected with it. An apologetic 3.

An easy 5. Reminds me, oddly, a lot of my first year at uni as I listened to him A LOT to the point that my housemates asked who that gloomy guy I kept playing was.

Only saw him live once but very glad I did.

1 Like

Somehow managed to never hear a whole song by him, just snippets on tv.

Yeah I know. Will get round to it one day. It’s become a bit of a thing.

Abstaining obviously.

He’s a 4.5 for me, found it really difficult to decide whether to round up or down but in the end I went for a 5.

One thing I am sure about is that Famous Blue Raincoat and Chelsea Hotel #2 are two of the very greatest songs ever written. Just imagine being able to write a song like that.

5 Likes

My mum loves him so used to play him in the car when I was little and I’d be going in and out of sleep with his songs playing and I didn’t really like it but then I did and now the songs are strongly nostalgic.

2 Likes

My mum bought Songs of Love and Hate because she fancied someone who really liked Leonard Cohen at the time. She didn’t actually like it at all. Not a bad record for me go on to nick from her though.

3/5 nonetheless.

1 Like

5 - The Master.

1 Like

Yeah, was going to give a shout out to that one. Sometimes overlooked but I think the added instrumentation really gives it some colour, and Who By Fire, such a simple song in many ways, is devastating.

1 Like

His Glasto set was one of the all-time greats, shame he didn’t want it filmed.

Also one of the best deadpans ever, the end of this does me every time:

1 Like

Tooo difficult

The 5s are coming thick and fast but Laughing Len is a true 5.

Famous Blue Raincoat might be the best song ever.

1 Like

only heard two albums but I’ll give him a 5 as he seemed genuine

1 Like

5 bye

1 Like