🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Lizzo

She’s no Ash

6 Likes

Does nothing for me musically - she’s not operating in a genre I especially love, and she’s not good enough to transcend that. But considering I have (arbitrarily and inconsistently) knocked points off others for being scumbags it seems only fair to add them for someone who is an actual positive force. And that Glastonbury set was great. 2/5.

Per other comments I will check out Lizzobangers, only heard Cuz I Love You

I love telling this story, but when I was at university I wrote a gig review of Har Mar Superstar for the student newspaper. He was playing at the Adelphi in Hull, to about 20 people, which looks like this:

He was really shit, but supporting him was this “local Minneapolis rapper” called Lizzo, and she was SO GOOD. Spent most of the article writing about her instead, and it really was one of those moments where it’s obvious that the person you’re watching is going to be huge one day. But she’s absolutely massive now, and it’s surreal to think of her even playing that gig back in like, 2012? She was obviously lovely and brilliant when I spoke to her too.

Really excited to see how she progresses. Like @AQOS said, she’s got loads of bangers but it’s maybe not sustained well over the course of an album.

24 Likes

Only heard four songs :grimacing: (Cuz I Love You, Juice, Good as Hell and Truth Hurts), the first is run-of-the-mill but we’re off on the right foot as the other three are some of the best pop I’ve heard this century.

First album really amazing, second and third got some big songs but a lot of skippable ones too. Went to her Glastonbury show last year and enjoyed it a lot but not as much as everybody else seemed to. She’s really talented (can fucking sing, can rap, can dance, play the goddamn flute!) and has a really entertaining and endearing personality, so she’s usually good value. Does seem like she’s prone to fits of being a little bit of a dickhead though; I was very not cool with when she put that delivery driver on blast and doxxed her because her food was late. If anybody else did that I’d be prepared to write them off as a bastard for life. As it’s her I kind of chalked it up to the stress and weirdness of becoming suddenly famous. Giving her a 3.

1 Like

musically agree with what others have said, some songs i really like but also some that leave me cold and feel a bit hooks over substance.
she’s really charismatic and funny though, can’t think of many live acts i’ve seen with better stage patter. also can’t really downplay the importance of her being plus sized in an industry where they’re shocklingly underrepresented

2 Likes

Listened to Juice as I hadn’t heard any others and it sounds like Bruno Mars tbh

3 Likes

I know @anon19035908 was having an internal debate as to whether it still being relatively early in Lizzo’s career making it not quite worthy of this thread vs doing it because she’s a powerful and progressive symbol of modern African American musicians so this thread could go in all sorts of directions, not all of which is good.

Personally I really like her, she’s a fantastic rapper that has now started also making great pop music. I think the question of “will her next album be regarded a classic?” Is very a valid one, because she’s got bags of potential and is now existing on the cultural zeitgeist, meaning her next record could well be a masterpiece, or a complete failure (I hope it’s the former).

I really like her music, she’s a distinct and playful voice who isn’t afraid to call out bullshit and also a fantastic performer. She’s also seemingly a lovely person who is using her platform for good, but it is still rather early on in her career to give a totally objective score. I’ll go a 4… For now…

2 Likes

Thought Cos I Love You was a fair bit better than most in here are suggesting, even if it was probably a bit frontloaded.

2 Likes

Has a few bangers tbfttl

2 Likes

I never said whether I thought that was a bad thing or not :wink:

1 Like

All of them on his last album and Finesse, probably. Bin, bin, bin all the earlier MOR slop like Just The Way You Are and the Lazy Song but we all make mistakes and some of us learn from them.

1 Like

Lizzo played the Adelphi!!

1 Like

I’ve only actually heard Juice, which is a very good single, and Tempo which was solid enough. Seems to put on fun live shows. Think I’ll abstain tbh.

Holy sweeping madness, Batman.

proper kicked off after someone gave her album an average review too iirc

1 Like

Took an exceptionally long time to give the British artist recognition for using ‘I just took a DNA test’ too

oop, I should keep my head down after giving her a three then.

It was a strong three!

How Much Of A Force For Good Are They Really

7 Likes

She’s obviously mega talented & really good live, but on record I find her really dull if I’m honest. So I’d see her at a festival, but it’s not really my thing.

So I’ll abstain.