Spotify

3 Likes

I have not heard Just Like Christmas

But I will listen now

Tis the season

8 Likes

Sounds like music that would soundtrack a Zooey Deschenal film

1 Like

find their music quite claustrophobic, makes me feel like someoneā€™s squeezing my head

A solid 4, their early stuff is great but then they lost their way and started reusing the same vocal melody and chords.

Sometimes wish their songs were about stuff instead of just vague metaphors but the vocals are so lovely it really conveys a lot when there isnā€™t much there.

3 Likes

It was on The OC I think

How Good Are They Really: Phantom Planet

7 Likes

I really like Cā€™mon - itā€™s not their best album but Iā€™ve never really understood why it is so unpopular.

The Invisible Way is a definite mis-step. Itā€™s still got some really good songs on (Plastic Cup, Holy Ghost, Just Make it Stop) but it was a big mistake getting Jeff Tweedy to produce it and letting him make them sound like a MOR Americana band. I saw them live when they toured that album and they were still great.

11 Likes

Quite liked them over the years but must admit their sound and style mostly washes over me. Bit like ambience, atmospheric mood music Iā€™d stick on in the background that would rarely stir much in me.

Went well over 10 years after Drums & Guns maybe trying each new one a couple of times and taking little from them. Still couldnā€™t really pick anything out from that latter half of their careerā€¦ UNTIL Double Negative. Astonishing, otherworldly, incredible album - never heard anything like it.

Would have been the 3est of 3s but Double Negative bumps it up to a 4.

Really decent human beings, too Bam. A loving family, quietly devout but not at all preachy or judgemental. Alan has some demons but always talks about them openly and honestly. Heā€™s excellent on social media and very politically and socially engaged.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear, Iā€™ve seen them live a couple of times and he seems kind of intense

This track is really interesting too as itā€™s Low writing a song that doesnā€™t really sound like Low for a movie soundtrack;

Wouldā€™ve been interested to hear more of this kind of stuff.

Thatā€™s definitely true. Last time I saw them was the day that there was a lot of stuff in the media about Trump putting kids in cages at the border. He made quite a few oblique references to it during the gig and was so wired and intense you could feel the air crackle around him. He speaks quite a lot on social media about mental health and about therapy and I say heā€™s definitely had his demons over the years.

1 Like

Ahhh Iā€™m still playing catching up with the Listening Club! Have been slowly working through their catalogue and making notes about each album. Not fully up to date yet but theyā€™re ace!

Double Negative was my first real intro to them after enjoying the odd track here and there plus the Christmas album. Really enjoying these tracks at the mo:

3 Likes

music 5/5
launching your guitar into a crowd -1

4/5

1 Like

Still wince when I read descriptions of that. Absolutely horrifying to consider what wouldā€™ve happened if heā€™d caught someone with it.

Same. Have a load of their CDs here, had an original copy of Things We Lost In The Fire on LP, just never want to listen to them. The only song Iā€™ll ever put on is ā€˜Do You Know How To Waltz?ā€™.

2 Likes

Torn as ever between The Great Destroyer and Drums & Guns