• You Love Us
  • Stay Beautiful
  • Love’s Sweet Exile
  • Slash ‘n’ Burn
  • Motorcycle Emptiness
  • Suicide Is Painless
  • Little Baby Nothing
  • From Despair To Where
  • La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh)
  • Roses In The Hospital
  • Faster
  • Revol
  • She Is Suffering
  • A Design For Life
  • Everything Must Go
  • Kevin Carter
  • Australia
  • If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
  • The Everlasting
  • You Stole The Sun From My Heart
  • Tsunami
  • The Masses Against The Classes
  • So Why So Sad
  • Found That Soul
  • Ocean Spray
  • Let Robeson Sing
  • There By The Grace Of God
  • The Love Of Richard Nixon
  • Empty Souls
  • Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
  • Autumnsong
  • Indian Summer
  • (It’s Not War) Just The End Of Love
  • Some Kind Of Nothingness
  • Postcards From A Young Man
  • This Is The Day
  • Show Me The Wonder
  • Anthem For A Lost Cause
  • Walk Me To The Bridge
  • Futurology
  • Together Stronger (C’mon Wales)
  • International Blue
  • Distant Colours
  • Dylan & Caitlin
  • Liverpool Revisited
  • Hold Me Like Heaven
  • People Give In

0 voters

This is easy for me since I checked out after album 1

Dear god no

1 Like

(4/5)

2 Likes

So many albums I’ve never bothered to listen to but The Holy Bible alone gets a 4.
Always brilliant live.

11 Likes

If they’d called it quits after Everything Must Go, then I’d probably be voting a 5… but they didn’t.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t think I’ve heard anything after Know Your Enemy tbh and people will probably now tell me that I should but I really can’t be bothered. I’ve given them a 4 cause Everything Must Go was one of the first albums I ever got really into, TIMTTMY has moments of absolute genius and Holy Bible is fucking great obv, plus pretty much all the singles before that are good. Agree about them live too, brilliant.

1 Like

They were ok for a while, really liked You Love Us. Everything after Everything Must Go must go.

2/5

1 Like

Definitely a band that got far more attention than they deserved due to tragic circumstances. Was listening to Nicky Wire on Adam Buxton’s podcast and he sounded bitter that they’re not more respected and all I could think was “You arrogant fuck, you never deserved to be as popular as you are, and you’re complaining you don’t get more reverence!?”. So deluded.

5 Likes

I like the one about the empty motorcycle 2/5

1 Like

Loved them when I was 16. Just when GT came out. They sent me a signed photo and white label unprompted just because I wrote to them. If they stopped after The Holy Bible, I think they would have been revered. Love everything until that…just lost interest since then. 5 for early career. 3 overall

2 Likes

totally don’t get their appeal but was well into this when it came out

do they have any other good songs?
2 if not
3 Likes

A band that I’ve gone from loving to having absolute apathy towards. I’ve never listened to anything post Everything Must Go, so my opinion is totally formed from the first four albums.

There was a real excitement about them initially, which came to a crescendo with the release of The Holy Bible. That really was a statement album, and I absolutely caned in it when it came out. Was fortunate enough to catch them at the Astoria touring it, in that little time-frame between Richey leaving rehab (he wasn’t with them at Reading that previous summer) and going missing. What a show. It was incendiary and exciting and fun.

I totally bought into EMG initially. Didn’t expect much from a post-Richey Manics, but felt it was solid. It was another Reading Festival show around that time though that I finally gave up on them. It was dull, and plodding. I’ve never really listened to them again. I did give The Holy Bible a spin a couple of years back and it had lost all its impact for me. Nothing about it excited me.

I’ve given them a 2 at the moment. But since writing this, that feels a little unfair as they obviously were a significant part of my listening history for a while. Might up it to a 3 because there’s nothing I actively dislike about them. I wouldn’t turn the radio off if they came on. I just would never choose to listen to them.

2 Likes

You could do worse than the Best Of tbh Shrewbs, always had some brilliant singles.

1 Like

5 for the bangers
-1 for the sheer amount of dross and for nicky wire

4/5

3 Likes

Going to have to ponder here. At their best an easy 5, but there is a fair amount of dreck as well. Not as simple as early stuff good, later bad because Futorology is one of the best things they’ve done. Wish they’d gone straight from This Is My Truth to Send Away The Tigers without those duff records in between. They deserve an extra point for dealing with awful circumstances with as much dignity as they could, and also for generally being a bit spiky and amusing. 3.5 rounded up to 4, I reckon.

6 Likes

A very important band for me growing up. The Holy Bible still sounds exhilarating (especially the US mix). I would give a 4.5 but since you can’t it’s a 5.

3 Likes

A Design For Life is a proper belter, isn’t it?

Was never into the Manics as much as others. They were a big thing when I was at uni - there’d always be a really obvious fan of theirs (or six) at any given indie night. Loved some of their stuff; hated some of it.

Gone for 3/5 - would probably have gone 7/10 if this was food not bands.

2 Likes