šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Marvin Gaye

A misspelling of ā€˜Funkhauserā€™ I reckon.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Alright thanks Al

8 Likes

Does that make you Chevy Chase or Paul Simon?

Another to file under doesnā€™t do it for me but I totally see the appeal

3 Likes

I donā€™t find this stuff amusing anymore.

1 Like

I think when I discovered he did I Heard it Through The Grapevine and Sexual Healing it blew my mind. Those songs were both such incredible powerhouses to me yet seemed so utterly different even in terms of singing style.

1 Like

No Inner City Blues?

2 Likes

Ah shite. Poll was C&Ped from a best of track list cause I couldnā€™t be arsed typing them all out and I didnā€™t check it properly.

Confusing that Al and AI are indistinguishable

5 Likes

Anyone else slightly aroused by Theo describing Sexual Healing as a powerhouse?

6 Likes

Yeah, not voting in this one, but wish I knew more about him

1 Like

4 from me, not quite at the same level as Al Green or Otis Redding but still undeniably excellent.

Also Creedence Clearwater Revivalā€™s version of Heard It Through the Grapevine is better. Have a nice thread everyone.

3 Likes
1 Like

4 from me.

The Blue Mountain Panpipe version of Sexual Healing is one of my absolute favourite things. Every time I make a playlist on Spotify for an event or for a friend, I chuck that into the mix because I like people to be happy.

Donā€™t know as much of Marvā€™s stuff as I should do but the big hits all bang fairly hard.

1 Like

Hmmm. Marking Marvin down a bit Iā€™m afraid. I just donā€™t think heā€™s up there with Otis or Sam in the 60s or Curtis and Isaac in the 70s. Great voice, but some pretty middling material. Whatā€™s Going On isnā€™t the great album itā€™s cracked up to be, Letā€™s Get It On is much better. On the moral side of the ledger yes, the poor guy had a miserable tortured life, but he also had a pretty nasty history of domestic violence, mind games, and chasing 17 year olds when he was past his mid 30s.

Thereā€™s better out there.

So good

1 Like

Iā€™ve started playing this.

My eyebrow is twitching.

2 Likes

Just done a quick bit of reading up on this and revised my score downwards. Did the same with Prince so would be hypocritical not to here as well.

1 Like