šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Meat Loaf

Jolly Green Giants > Meat Loaf > The Shitty Beatles

1 Like

Did we ever find out what it was he wouldnā€™t do for love? I heard on the grapevine itā€™s ass to mouth

1 Like

Are they any good?

2 Likes

I think Bat out of Hell might have been the first album my mum bought for me :thinking: I was like 5/6 maybe? I absolutely loved it and kept borrowing her version out the car so she bought me the tape out of Woolies. Had other tapes like MJā€™s Thriller that would have been recorded off the LP but this was the first one that was properly mine to play as much as I wanted. Makes me feel nice thinking about that but thatā€™s about all I can say for him.

Donā€™t know what itā€™s like where youā€™re from but Paradise by the Dashboard Lights always seems to be sung at any Karaoke I happen to end up at and Iā€™ve never heard anyone murder it.

THEY SUCK!

4 Likes

So itā€™s not just a clever name!

4 Likes

That first line in the OP was for your benefit btw.

1 Like

Bet heā€™d do almost anything for a 5

1 Like
2 Likes

Bat Out of Hell II was one of the first albums I had on tape, got it when I was 11 and I Would Do Anything For Loveā€¦ was top of the charts. Put it on for a spin this morning and am surprised that I donā€™t have more recollection of the other tracks - the titles are familiar but the music mostly isnā€™t, which doesnā€™t speak volumes for me having ever enjoyed it.

Iā€™m going with a 2 because Iā€™d sooner listen to Bat Out of Hell (the song) on a loop than anything by Death Cab for Cutie and I gave them 2 last week.

2 Likes

More is better that This Corrosion :smiley:

Holy shit. See you in the musical things you were slow to realise thread

1 Like

I mean obviously heā€™s fucking brilliant. Absolute golden childhood memories of the Bat of Hell LP being played lots and every song is a treat. Played after tea (when everyone was pissed in hindsight!), played in the car, played everywhere. Operatic overblown nonsense rock music but perfect for kids. Then thereā€™s a few years of being too cool for school where i would never listen to him and then the drinking comes along and the late night plays at parties make you realise that the mini you was right all along, This man is a genuis! Not only perfect for kids, but perfect for boozers. Its a pantomime and all the better for it. Iā€™m not a fanboy at all but youā€™d have to be pretty joyless not to get anything from his big hitters.

Heā€™s no springsteen, heā€™s very sweaty and i have probably heard a tiny amount of his material but itā€™s brought me so much joy over the years heā€™s a 5 for sure. Especially considering the way the thread is going.

13 Likes

2 for the Rocky Horror and fact heā€™s not as bad as the RHCPs.

1 Like

When are we doing the Wurzels though?

2 Likes

5 for being an all round nice guy and entertainer
4 for any songs written by Jim Steinman
1 for his other stuff

Soā€¦ a 3

4 Likes

Itā€™s really not [adds Bat Out Of Hell to the HGIIR list]

1 Like

Is it alluded to what he wouldnā€™t do for love in that song? I have never listened to it and letā€™s be honest, I donā€™t think I ever will

Didnā€™t realise heā€™d been in so many films. Wouldnā€™t be surprised at this point if someone said ā€œHe was great in To Kill a Mockingbird, so itā€™s a 3 from me.ā€

4 Likes

Itā€™s a good, strong 2/5 for me. Not the music Iā€™d rush out to buy/watch but he has a few bangers, seems like a good egg and seems to be in on the joke.

Also, I think (in answer to something someone said on the Charlatans thread) - being a good egg is enough reason to add points to someoneā€™s score. If Meat Loaf was playing a festival or guest-hosting a radio show or a podcast or whatever, Iā€™d be more likely to want to watch him / listen to him if heā€™s a decent person too. Itā€™s not that it turns him from a 1/5 to a 5/5 but it enhances your enjoyment of it. Music is never just about the music, so I hope he gets a few Good Egg Points along the way.

7 Likes