šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Metallica

Mostly shit

More of a Megadeth man really

1 Like

5, for Ride The Lightning alone.

3 Likes

One of those bands that shouldā€™ve called it a day after ā€¦ five albums.

Kill Em All 4/5
Ride the Lightning 5/5
Master of Puppets 4/5
ā€¦And Justice for All 4/5

The rest are fuckinā€™ bobbins.

3/5

(this was meant to be a general reply, not to you @AcceptanceIII - soz)

5 Likes

Easy easy easy 5, even with all the garbage that came after the Black Album.

Kill Em All kickstarted a whole genre and a stupid amount of sub genres, and And Justice For All is a bit too over the top but still great. But Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets are both very nearly perfect albums. Even if itā€™s not your thing, the level of songwriting and musicianship on those is outstanding. Cliff Burton was an absolute genius and taken far too soon.

Lots wrong with them but for their initial run up until their commercial peak, their innovation and their influence in the genre, itā€™s a 5 for me. If youā€™re not a fan but not really given them a try, would urge you to at least check out Fade To Black, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Orion (maybe Call of Ktulu as well) and One - good departures from their general ā€˜soundā€™ and absolutely fantastic tracks.

12 Likes

In American comedies and that they always use Metallica as an example of someone being ā€˜wildā€™. ā€œI canā€™t believe youā€™re getting married, seems like only yesterday we were at the Metallica concertā€ etc. Think that puts me off trying again with them tbh. You know Guy Fieri off the food channel? I bet he fucking loves Metallica.

6 Likes

thereā€™s a few bangers on death magnetic imo (also some shit on there, obvs)

2 Likes

Canā€™t really hear their influence in the work of his band, smash mouth

7 Likes

Solid 4/5, everything up to, and including, .ā€¦And Justice for All is absolutely fucking fantastic. After that is a huge pile of meh but, fuck, those early albums slap.

4 Likes

Thanks to them headlining seemingly every big festival Iā€™ve ever attended Iā€™ve seen them more than just about any other band. And Iā€™m not really a fan. They just wonā€™t stop turning up and playing entirely solid sets of songs Iā€™m not that fussed about.

Canā€™t give them less than 3 for the stuff I like, canā€™t give them any more because Iā€™m sick of the sight of them. LEAVE ME ALONE METALLICA!

6 Likes

Copy and paste this for the nicest guy in rock and his foo fighting posse

The loss of Cliff Burton is immense.

7 Likes

I donā€™t like them much, but I do have fond memories of seeing them headline at some metal festival and a mate of mine belting out the words ā€˜SAND PATROLā€™ to Sad But True, which caused loads of people to turn around and stare at him. Turns out he thought those were the actual lyrics, despite the title of the song.

For the tears of laughter that caused at the time, Iā€™m going 2/5

15 Likes

Love this. In the context of the rest of the lyrics itā€™s kinda beautiful.

Iā€™m your dream, mind astray
Iā€™m your eyes while youā€™re away
Iā€™m your pain while you repay
YOU KNOW ITā€™S SAND PATROL!

8 Likes

It says a lot that theyā€™ve been touring pretty much the same set for at least twenty years. If theyā€™d broken up after the self titled album theyā€™d be an easy 5, that first run of albums is great and Master Of Puppets is an absolute riff fest.

Itā€™s weird that people talk about them reinventing themselves in the 90s because Load and Reload are just duller versions of what came before. St Anger is funny if only because itā€™s so bad. Not bothered with anything after that.

They were a formative band for a lot of my friends but I never really had any emotional connection with them short of going ā€œoh yeah this is a bangerā€ if I heard Battery.

3/5

3 Likes

Funkhouser restaurant analogy for every HGATR band, pls (or at least the bad ones)

1 Like

They are the subject of one of my favourite jokes:

How does James Hetfield like his toast? BUTTERY!

3/5

5 Likes

Maybe he thought it was some sort of gulf war political commentary.

I like to stick what I know; slagging things off and food.

1 Like

Iā€™m imagining it as a really dark CBeebies show about a life guard whoā€™s probably a dog for some reason and has some dark secrets.

2 Likes

think this is true for me as well, but thereā€™s so many bangers I canā€™t not give them a fiveboy

2 Likes