šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Mew

when Converge

Valid reasoning, Iā€™ll allow it. Now if everyone else could form an orderly queue and regale me with similar explanationsā€¦

1 Like

Well this bed ainā€™t getting any wetter

1 Like

Mew are like Converge covering Coldplay

2 Likes

Wednesday, April 4th, 2073

6 Likes

Also the first time I saw them (and the first gig I went to outside of my hometown)

i fucking love mew but 100% agree with this opinion

1 Like

seriously though what a fucking incredible band, easy 5/5

2 Likes

Iā€™d wear any of those coats

3/5

2 Likes

Got to challenge this as well, itā€™s just a long song innit? Nothin prog about it

Yellow (12" mix)

1 Like

tbh, it might be improved if it were more prog rock.

1 Like

Centenary of the worst top 6 until this seasonā€™s Championship.

1 Like

Only heard a few mew songs and I have disliked them, leaning to a 1 but since theyā€™re Danish Iā€™ll give them one more go first. Do I go with Frengers since it is leading the album poll?

Easy 5. They have been a hugely important band for me.

I was a young dad, and I used to sit up into the wee hours downloading and listening to obscure music keeping a check on the kiddo as he slept. One of the bands I became obsessed with was Mew. I remember getting ā€œKing Christianā€, ā€œ156ā€ and ā€œAm I Wry? Noā€ on dial up from some dodgy site and have been absolutely in love ever since. They used to play the toilet circuit loads before Frengers came out proper in the UK, and I caught them playing with Pure Reason Revolution, Martin Grech, and Ok Go!.

I met them backstage to get a guitar signed that we were auctioning off for charity (a charity for my then recently deceased little brother), and they were so sweet. I asked if they were playing ā€œShe Came Home For Christmasā€ that night and they ended up playing it and dedicating it to me. My son has grown up to love them too, and weā€™ve seen them a bunch of times together, most recently at their Glass Handed Kites show. I donā€™t think there is a band around that writes songs the way they do. It all sounds so effortless but is hugely complex and beautiful. Each of them brings so much to the band, whether itā€™s Boā€™s absolutely bananas guitar figures, Silasā€™ super awkward yet absolutely on point way of drumming, or Jonasā€™ stunning voice and all the weird visuals he brings to the band. I honestly think they are the most underrated band of the last 20 years.

In terms of albums - their pre-Sony releases are essential in showing what they could do. Frengers was a ā€œbest ofā€ of all that stuff really, and each subsequent release has added loads of layers to their sound. Glass Handed Kites is arguably their masterpiece, but No More Stories is probably their most dense and imaginative work. Plus Minus was slightly disappointing when I first heard it but I have grown to love it more and more with each listen, and Visuals was a wonderful return. They have a wealth of fascinating B-sides and one off songs too that demand checking out. They are absolutely top tier, as anyone thatā€™s seen Comforting Sounds live will attest.

18 Likes

As for Mew? On paper abstaining as I know next to nothing about them. However, they are from the same suburb of Copenhagen as the Tuborg brewery, so a 5 for heroically making their home town famous for something other than that ghastly lager.

1 Like

Standing On The Verge Of Getting It Con

Might pop over to Oslo to catch them do Kites in January actually. Gutted I missed that London show

The original has tap dancing which is prog rock

1 Like

Yellow is just a crap Comforting Sounds.