Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05
Kings Of Leon 2.01
Red Hot Chili Peppers 1.90
The Spice Girls 1.81
Stereophonics 1.74

Today; Miles Davis

0 voters

No polls for this one because his discography is fucking ridiculous. If anyone more in the know wants to then go ahead.

4 Likes

Looking forward to recommendations from others more in the know, but it’s a 5 from me just for the likes of Ina Silent Way and On the Corner.

I mean, even if you don’t listen to him, can anyone really justify less than a 5 here.

Not a great dude but one of the best artists of the century in any art form.

1 Like

Oh this was one of my suggestions after the 100th HGATR!

Abstaining for now but looking forward to hearing from others.

Oooh big big 5 here.

More from me later but if anyone has some spare time and is interested this doc on iplayer is great. Doesn"t really go into detail on the more shady aspects of his life but covers the different eras and a good summation of what makes him a great artist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ggdf/miles-davis-birth-of-the-cool

4 Likes

Abstain / 5.

No idea, not my thing.

Yes! One of the oddest things about lockdown is that I’ve turned into a total jazz fiend save it for thursday etc.. Been listening to loads of Miles, Coltrane (John and Alice), Mingus etc.

Miles though. That discography!

Ascenseur Pour L’échafaud, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, In A Silent Way, Live/Evil, Bitches Brew, On The Corner

All incredible, groundbreaking records, covering a huge amount of ground.

I also recommend watching the Birth of the Cool documentary that’s on iPlayer at the moment. Great film and doesn’t necessarily shy away from some of the more unpleasant aspects of his character, of which there were apparently many.

4 Likes

only scratched the surface really but everything i’ve listened to has been great. In a Silent Way is such a beautiful record, one of my fav ever. think anyone with an interest in experimental rock would be impressed by Bitches Brew and On the Corner. bought Nefertiti a few months ago and been enjoying that a lot.
haven’t listened to loads of his peers so hard to fully appreciate him in context but yeah great 5/5

doc about him on netflix is worth watching (think it’s the same one that’s on iplayer)

2 Likes

Ok I’ll stick my head above the parapet on this one as I have tried really hard to get MD. I’ve put in serious hours over the years including a concerted effort 3 or 4 years ago when I went through a Stereogum list of his best albums and gave proper concerted time to about 15 of his albums.

I own a copy of his soundtrack Ascenseur Pour L’Echafaud and I appreciate that in the context of the film and as a technical achievement (recorded live in 1 take as he watched the film I understand) but to be honest of all the soundtracks I own it’s probably my least favourite and I wouldn’t mind never listening to it again. I own it more out of interest than like.

Beyond that On the Corner was the closest I got to liking an album (and another album very much in the same style I forget the name of) but even that was way too long. I also didn’t mind Sketches of Spain, which to my ears is very easy listening but has a soundtrack element that did appeal.

So those albums I may return to in the future but tbh out of obligation to try and expand my musical horizons rather than any genuine desire

Beyond that what can I say? It just isnt for me. I get the appeal of the most famous albums - Kind of Blue is sort of the archetypal jazz album and Bitches Brew sounds very much like jazz does late 60s rock. I kind of hate them tbh.

Everything else I have listened to over the years I just find an absolute slog. It’s just to do with how my brain processes sounds, there are some massively acclaimed undisputed geniuses whose music just makes my body shrink inwards.

2, sorry guys. I’m glad you love him, just not for me.

4 Likes

I love his smoother stuff. Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Lift to the Scaffold OST - all gold. His weirder stuff should be my bag but somehow it’s never quite clicked. I assume sooner or later I’m going to really get into Bitches Brew but it just hasn’t happened yet.

Should go for a 4 really but I feel I owe him a 5 after my deconstructed All Blues art thread debacle.

‘On The Corner’ is great, noisy as fuck. Probably gonna go a 5 though I’m only familiar with 4/5 albums of his. But whose gonna stop me?

2 Likes

I think you answered your own question

3 Likes

Re: weirder stuff, I would recommend maybe giving He Loved Him Madly a go from Get Up With It. Almost ambient, slightly creepy business. It’s just over 30 minutes long, but I know that’s no obstacle for your tastes :smile:

7 Likes

Ambient? Creepy? Probably longer than it needs to be? Damn it McGarnagle you know me too well! I’m going in.

3 Likes

Such a huge and varied discography that I defy anyone to like all of it! There’s loads that could be written about it all, but my own favourite album of his is A Tribute To Jack Johnson, amazing psychedelic funk from the early 70s.

If you like this sound, try the two live albums Agharta and Pangaea, recorded on the same day (one was an afternoon show, one the evening). Agharta is dense, smoky and mystical, transporting stuff.

His producer of this era, Teo Macero also deserves a shout out. He chopped and edited and tinkered like you would not believe, splicing together records out of different takes and sessions, using different lineups from years apart to create some of these tracks, prefiguring sample culture.

8 Likes

Five

1 Like

just want to pop the start of this in as it’s so good…hopefully i’ll get chance to post a bit more later.

Took me years but gradually i’ve grown to love various stages of his career. Reading his autobiography helped a lot and i would recommend it to anyone.

Black Beauty, Bitches Brew, A Silent Way…man, so many good 'uns (more of a 60’s on kinda guy)

This is the one which made me fall in love though. So easy to get lost and drift away…

2 Likes

4/5 for me as just don’t listen to him that much.

He’s my least favourite of “the three Ms” - Miles, Monk and Mingus - but the other two are clear 5/5s

1 Like

I’ll go a 4 because while he was an incredible visionary it’s not something I’ll reach for all that often (and was a bit problematic)

1 Like