šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Minutemen

ā€˜Guitar sounds crapā€™ is a perfectly valid opinion.

Sorry that sounded really arsey, Iā€™m not meaning to be, just Bam gets a lot of shit in these threads, from myself included, and gets singled out a lot.

1 Like

probably because 99% of us if we have such opinions keep them to ourselves?

Thatā€™s on everyone else, not him imo. These threads are for all opinions good or bad on an artist, and Bam in particular would elaborate further on those opinions if questioned respectfully. The only line we should really draw is when judgment is passed on fans (ā€˜music for people whoā€¦ā€™) etc. Iā€™m gonna tag him in @Bamnan cause itā€™s not really fair to discuss this without him.

2 Likes

just listening to the Ivan the Terrible release on your rec, itā€™s amazing, I love the spoken word stuff, he has a great voice

Itā€™s ok, Iā€™m sorry for upsetting anyone.

I donā€™t mind people disagreeing with my opinion more the inference that Iā€™m always at it, like I do post both positive and negative stuff on artists, glib and also long and detailed

8 Likes

Absolutely. Stuff like this:

Quite out of order imo.

2 Likes

Definitely not this. Maybe some people do bottle it in, but I think as a community I would hope that each HGATR thread has a post from everyone here who holds an opinion on the act (and some who donā€™t), and they should be honest about their opinions without being singled out for doing so. You might disagree if someone dislikes a band you like but everyoneā€™s opinion is equally valid here.

On a personal level, I enjoy a good takedown just as much as (probably more than) a seven paragraph life story of love for an act, so I hope people continue to feel free to engage with every HGATR thread no matter what they think of the act.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw that and decided to stop posting for a while, didnā€™t realise thatā€™s how some people see me, I donā€™t want to ruin a thread for anybody

3 Likes

I donā€™t like that one bit, donā€™t get me wrong Bam weā€™ve butted heads a fair bit in these threads and others I know, but youā€™re as entitled to post in them as anyone else.

1 Like

Guess I always get a bit more chippy with sacred cows, like you should be able to say the same stuff about an act at the top of the list as at the bottom.

I do like some stuff about the minutemen anyway, good basslines, the lyrics can be interesting and varied, I like what they are going for I just dont like the guitar tone, the affected vocals (fine in the spoken word stuff) and I wish their songs developed more rather than just a short idea and thatā€™s it. Good transitions between sections are some of my favourite parts of music, I feel something is lost with 40 short tracks with one idea each rather than say 20 where theyā€™ve thought about how sections fit together more. So I feel 3/5 is fair from me.

3 Likes

Fucking hell, this is just bullying

4 Likes

Yeah should have called it out at the time tbh.

1 Like

Itā€™s 2021, we arenā€™t angsty teenagers anymore, Iā€™m not easily upset but I think coming into a HGATR and just saying ā€œname sucks, 1/5ā€ or ā€œall metal bands are racist/Satanistsā€ without any context or willingness to discuss just defeats the purpose. I usually avoid threads about bands I donā€™t know as I find that would be pointless unless Iā€™m willing to ask where to start etc.

I understand it can be funny to some to throw such edgy quips around and then never re-enter the thread, but a music board should avoid such circle-jerkery otherwise outsiders are never going to want to participate, save that sort of thing for the social board.

[All in my opinion]

Exactly like this. Good stuff.

2 Likes

This is an opinion just like any other though. Yeah some people do like to steam in with that and nothing else but theyā€™re not obliged to elaborate.

When Bam says stuff like this (which donā€™t get me wrong isnā€™t his finest hour), he always stays and argues his points though.

Yeah hard to disagree with this bit tbh, partly why I moved them here.

Iā€™ll have to resist the temptation as itā€™s fun to do both though :slight_smile: Iā€™ll try to use my words more carefully but Iā€™m sure if I had said Limp Bizkitā€™s guitar sounded like shit and Fred Durstā€™s voice was annoying it would have passed without comment or would have been agreed with.

1 Like

Bamā€™s indicated in one post that he doesnā€™t like the guitar sound or the singerā€™s voice. Youā€™ve indicated that Bamā€™s opinion is shit. In this particular case, as I see it, youā€™re the one who is making the thread less welcoming.

Maybe you have valid grievances from a previous thread - not seeing anything here akin to the angsty teenage examples you give - but youā€™ve significantly misrepresented Bam here.

Heā€™s engaged with the thread, and given some opinions as to what he thought was good and not good on this artist.

For you to then come in and say ā€œsome shit from Bam but thatā€™s to be expectedā€ is quite unpleasant and undeserved.

1 Like

Love @bamnan opinions,l, and just as much when I believe them to be wrong :grinning:

5 Likes

hard to get tone online though I get that, I rarely post with malice and am fully aware that Iā€™m a fool sometimes

3 Likes

Yes he might do it, but I never said he is the only one. The Slayer thread was a shit show for such things.