💯 🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 💯 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

The fucks wrong with salt and vinegar crisps? You put salt and vinegar on chips, and they’re basically the same thing!

3 Likes

Shocked by the love for Push Away the Sky tbh

4 Likes

I changed my vote to it this morning. Super tough call between that, Boatmans, Lazarus and Tender Prey for me. Had a bit of a Bad Seeds binge yesterday and that album just hangs together so well. Love the sound/production. It works as a coherent whole and has a bunch of great tracks that stand up on their own too.

1 Like

Was listening to No more shall we part last night. It’s another underated gem of an album.

5 Likes

Get on Tender Prey properly if you haven’t already, it’s got that slightly muckier sound of the early Bad Seeds stuff that makes it not quite as immediate, but it’s absolutely great.

2 Likes

HGATR salt and vinegar crisps?

1/5

Oh My Lord is one of my favourite tracks.

5 Likes

6/5

1 Like

I haven’t listened to it much as I thought it was ‘fine’. It just doesnt do much for me in the way the 80s albums do.

Knows how to close an album

2 Likes

Dig Lazarus Dig was a pretty weird album wasn’t it.

1 Like

They’re all good to great songs but I don’t think he sings the first 2 particularly well (an issue that partly blights the albums they’re taken from)

Imo he increasingly became a much better singer from ‘Henry’s Dream’ to ‘Boatmans Call’ before his voice went all nasally and pinched on ‘No More Shall We Part’.

He’s a 5/5 artist for me but his voice is definitely the biggest issue I have with him, along with the fact that for a 5/5 artist I don’t feel he’s ever made an out and out classic album.

1 Like

Absolutely love his vocals on Lucy. Channels Shane McGowan (Not surprising that Shane covered this song when they did the What A Wonderful World single together)

1 Like

Love this

2 Likes

It’s great

2 Likes

it’s great yeah, just looks a bit weird now looking back. don’t you think?

1 Like

Yeah I love Shane’s version. There’s just certain lines that make me wince a bit like when he sings the first line of the chorus, he just goes in really 2 footed and bellows it, as well as it being out of tune. I do appreciate its very subjective though, sometimes out of tune vox can sound great (Nick on the birthday party’s ‘wild world’ for example) it just grates on me here for some reason.

That’s my favourite part :wink:

If you’re gonna fail, fail beautifully.

1 Like

Listened to it last night for the first time in ages, it is dead weird.

It’s like a half of a Grinderman album (Dig Lazarus Dig, Albert Goes West, Lie Down Here etc) and then the rest of the tracks are closer to the sound they realise on Push the Sky Away (Night of the Lotus Eaters and More News from Nowhere especially).

2 Likes