đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Nirvana #SSP

My clumsy homage to all the KC tributes which had that song playing over them despite being released several years earlier

WE WERE ON A PLAIN

15 Likes

To counter this, it’s all very 90’s 'tude, super produced and commodified. The edge you are hearing has been co-opted.

Partly responsible for all the bad stuff in culture now like marvel movies and people believing being a geek makes them individual

hate to say it but it will reflect badly on the boards if they score higher than beyonce & buffy

10 Likes

In year 9 in a music lesson, everyone had to go into groups and work on learning then performing a cover of any song. Everyone else did like Yellow Submarine or Dancing Queen and me and my mates did Lounge Act. Edgy as fuck.

11 Likes

They’re better than Beyonce but not better than Buffy, so I agree with this 50%

1 Like

I see what you’re saying Shrewbo, but at the moment it does seem like genuine nostalgia is inspiring the voting. There are a lot of early-middle-aged white male nerds here, and I think Nirvana were the soundtrack to a lot of our teenage years. Doesn’t look great, I agree, but I think many have genuine reasons.

One of those bands I tried to like because everyone liked them, never got it though. Few decent tunes but can’t imagine sticking an album on.

I don’t think you do hate to say it, Shrewbie.

Always thought of them as a bit of a whiny joke when I was growing up so never really bothered. I reckon Kurt Cobain was a good lad though and could write some catchy stuff.

1 Like

Some will just prefer the music of Nirvana to that of Beyoncé too, regardless of nostalgia, and not scoring for any reason beyond that.

6 Likes

Let’s have one of these threads without you doing this new schtick of yours please

16 Likes

they mean the world to me. i don’t listen to them much anymore but his voice always kills me when i do. the first time i heard them it was like a road to damascus moment. soon as that bridge riff to the chorus of heart shaped box locks in with the drum build. it meant so much to a 13 year old freak who didn’t really fit in with the big boys in the area i grew up in.

they’re probably the only band i like where i don’t care at all when people take shots at them, weirdly, because i connect with them so personally it’s like mere criticism means nothing to me. does that make sense?

anyway i gave them a 5, unsurprisingly. and i like beyonce too so no “rockist white boy” attacks please. lets keep it friendly!

3 Likes

Bamnam doesn’t like them guys

I scored both a 4 so I’m pious as fuck about this.

It’s weird to think that if you’re under 40, maybe even 45, you couldn’t have liked Nirvana at the time. Feels like they’re the most important band of our generation, but in reality they were our parents’ generation for the most part.

5 Likes

Gonna expand on that at all?

Maybe when someone comes up who isn’t mad overhyped

Pretty much ^this. Had been a metal kid for awhile and was just getting into alternative, and remember the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit it was like a bomb going off in my head. Their whole rise from alternative band to dominating the main stream was unbelievably rapid and exciting. Saw them at Reading '92. Had tickets for their Brixton show on pretty much the day that he killed himself (still have the ticket). Don’t listen to them much these days (too much emotional baggage attached) but the songs/albums are pretty much all flawless :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:/5

2 Likes