🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 OutKast

Can I just say again that most of this thread has been absolute gold and really interesting. I’ll be going through it again to properly educate myself on some new hip hop. Exactly what these things are meant to be.

6 Likes

it’s nice chatting about rap and that with your internet pals isn’t it

16 Likes

Massive this to Redman and De La.

36 Chambers, Forever and The W; Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Bulletproof Wallets (yes Bulletproof Wallets!)

Operation Doomsday, Take Me to Your Leader, Vaudeville Villain

Don’t think any of these can quite touch Outkast though. Combined solo and group Wu Tang is the only thing that could

2 Likes

Just listening to this for the first time (I’ll come back to ATLiens).

First impression is how well it arrests you from pretty much the first bar of the first verse. Just grabs your attention brilliantly.

I guess as a teenager I bought into the idea that you were either into indie or metal or hip-hop or whatever, and I guess I’ve never really properly explored some of the biggest and best names of the genre. Exception would be the likes of Jurassic 5, Blackalicious etc… but then I think those acts were (to an extent) marketed differently.

Anyway I’m not sure where I’m going with other than there’s probably a hell of a lot more I could make the effort to listen to and would enjoy a lot.

15 Likes

It’s the absolute greatest. Fairly jealous of you listening to it for the first time tbh, and remember having pretty much the identical reaction.

ATLiens absolutely kills too - you’re in for quite the evening!

1 Like

so much this

We did a thread a while back which is a good way to dig deeper. The second post outlines a whole bunch of rap recommendations from different DiS users

Needs resurrecting tbh, I’ve been meaning to dig deep on 8-Ball & MJG since @incandenza made the pick, still have the tab open on my browser. time eh

2 Likes

Think Miss Jackson put me off them for life

no stress :pray: the recommendation is enough. those guys are a blank spot in my rap landscape other than Three 6 collabs

1 Like

that Gucci Mane Stoopid / Costa Del Sol remix is absolutely unbelievable

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Mad that we’ve not really discussed So Fresh, So Clean which would be the biggest banger by nearly any other group.

5 Likes

I don’t think it would get close to my top 30 OutKast songs. which is mad. It’s easily the equal of a song like, say, I Got 5 On It, which has been big enough to prop up Luniz in the rap canon

2 Likes

Love you xylo

1 Like
2 Likes

Shine blockers yeeeeeessssss

Just remembered this song too. Definitely gonna listen to outkast all day tomorrow

1 Like

I covered it in my first post though

Is there anything more joyous and incomprehensible than Nutmeg?!

BREAK IT DOWN.

1 Like

here’s a gift for your heart young xylo, some rare frankie

if there’s ever one of these threads for Frank Ocean I’d like moderator status for the day

3 Likes

And summed it up perfectly with it.