🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 OutKast

I adore GKMC. It’s one of those albums that as well as clicking with me on a musical level, was part of the soundtrack to a really happy period in my life. Just as I was getting into it the headliner at the first gig I ever played closed with a really great sung electro cover of Swimming Pools and the album as a whole was the soundtrack to a month long road trip across Oz.

It’s odd, because I know TPAB is the ‘better’ album, but GKMC is definitely the one of his that I feel closest to.

2 Likes

I listened to 13th Floor/Growing Up for the first time on my way home yesterday. Amazing.

2 Likes

Not sure this is an objectively true statement.

Both are amazing, mind

Hence the ‘’. Maybe ‘more ambitious’ would have been a better way of putting it

1 Like

Genuinely can’t wait for the wigs flying about when we have a Kanye one of these

11 Likes

Will probably just take the day off for the Queen one.

2 Likes

Caveat my like with the acceptance that there’s certainly as much justifiable grounds for valid criticism of Kanye’s politics as there was for Kate Bush. Would be in two minds whether to give him a 4 or 5 because of it

Look at that, my wig has already gone

1 Like

Think if Bowie is getting a 4.3 then it’s pretty set that people are voting on the music rather than the person
And so he’s a nailed on 5 for me

I prefer GKMC too. It’s a little more conventional, perhaps that’s why. Reminds me of mid period Masta Ace albums.

Fair enough but these hands won’t wring themselves

3 Likes

Thank you to this thread for getting me BANG on the dirty south today. Rich boy? Trick daddy? TI? Yes please.

Also Ridin’ Dirty gets better every time I listen to it.

1 Like

nearly 600 posts on outkast? damn ive got some catching up to do. why not the music forum tho (sorry if this has been discussed before)? this is a good format!

3 Likes

It’s a spin off from the TV threads in the same format that Juke does. I did consider doing them on the music board but I think because most of the subjects are very mainstream and ‘popular’, it’s good to have a music discussion with people who don’t use the music boards and are more comfortable discussing them here. Not sure if that really makes sense but it’s late!

3 Likes

Quickest 5 I’ve given anything in these threads

2 Likes

Just scrolling through this thread. Some mad comments. Hey Ya is one of the most joyous songs ever made.

Never ventured too much from the singles. Sounds like I need to do a deep dive into their back catalogue!

2 Likes

We shouldn’t forget that for all the questionable political decisions Kanye made he was also massively correct about W

(Also lost a lot of respect for Myers for not getting into it, TBH.)

reckon maybe 250 of them are actually about OutKast

3 Likes

Nah there’s a surprisingly high amount of relevant chat in this one, with a slight derailment. It’s an interesting read.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Completely agree it is a very interesting read though, with some great posting. Glad some of the DiS music-board hip hop crew found their way here.

2 Likes

I guess what I mean is that it could have been worse!