šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Placebo

Not very good out of 5

Iā€™ve gone 4 because their early stuff is great and I think my relative disinterest in the later stuff is more to with production than it is to do with the songs themselves, so to speak.

@Fintans_Cat please report to talk to me briefly about ā€˜Ask For Answersā€™

1 Like

Two great albums. Third and fourth were ok. Anything Iā€™ve heard since has been shite but they still seem to be massive so fair play to em.

2 Likes

Only got the first album, itā€™s alright I suppose. Some fantastic singles though, so going to go with a 3, a 2 seems harsh seeing as thatā€™s what I gave the Stereophonics

The lyrics to Pure Morning are really bad arenā€™t they?

2 Likes

A nice, solid, warm and friendly 4/5 from me

8 Likes

Coincidentally I read something last night - apparently they stopped performing it because Brian finds the lyrics so embarrassing now. Shame - itā€™s a great track of you ignore the horrendous rhymes

1 Like

Haha, fair play to him then. Agreed, musically itā€™s excellent

1 Like

Nancy Boy is one of those rare songs where the verse and chorus are both good but the verse is actually just a little bit stronger melodically so youā€™re happy to see it return.

8 Likes

First 2 albums are great, in particular Without You Iā€™m Nothing (the title track is the best thing theyā€™ve done imo), lost interest a bit after that but that covers album was good fun and they were good when I saw them a couple of times at festivals. Seem like good eggs too. 4.

1 Like
3 Likes

Solid 4 from me. Great band.

S/T is one of my GOATs
WYIN is mostly brilliant
BMM has a handful of good things
So does SWG
not listened to anything after that really

Pretty woeful at Brixton whenever that most recent show was.

3/5 Iā€™d say

I remember my cousin once telling me he was really into a band called Place Bo. Took me a while to realise who he was talking about.

I loved the first two albums as an angsty kid. Didnā€™t quite get on with BMM and havenā€™t really listened to anything since. Saw 'em live a few times, always had a lovely evening.

A generous 3 for Place Bo.

4 Likes

Sounds like a high-end Scandanavian furniture shop.

4 Likes

Was a big fan of the first two records, but havenā€™t listened in years. Listening now and Iā€™m not entirely sure why - theyā€™re no more overwrought and angsty than a lot of other bands.

3 seems harsh, but 4 seems generous. As a tie breaker they seem to be decent humans so we will go with 4.

3 Likes

I remember them giving interviews at the time of its release saying it was only ever meant to be a b-side but once the record company heard it they insisted it be the lead single. Band didnā€™t sound too happy about it tbh.

First 2 albums still sound great, have aged really well. Downhill after that but still produced the odd banger. They were great live and Brian Molko was one of young EVIā€™s big style icons so Iā€™ll give them a 3.

1 Like

Great run of albums up with the s/t, WYIN, Black Market Music and Sleeping With Ghosts. Great live. Meds had some good songs but Iā€™d lost interest a bit by this point, possibly the themes were a bit tired, I wasnā€™t as angsty, songwriting or a combination. Donā€™t listen to them much but results in a binge, whenever I do. Nancy Boy still sounds as vital and urgent as it did the first time I heard it.

One of the true hall of fame nails-on-chalkboard voices.

I never really took Pure Morning very seriously, it always felt intentionally slight. Kind of surprised people are so irked with the lyrics.

1 Like