🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Portishead

hgatr

Morning! Let’s get another one of these on the go shall we?

Here’s where ABBA fit in to things

Artist Rating
David Bowie 4.31
Stevie Wonder 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
The Supremes 4.13
Radiohead 4.13
OutKast 4.07
Kate Bush 4.07
Joni Mitchell 3.89
ABBA 3.66
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Britney Spears 2.85

And we’ll move on to Portishead

portisheadpng

0 voters

Album poll:

• Dummy
  • Portishead
  • Third
  • Roseland NYC Live

0 voters

Single/song:

• Numb
  • Sour Times
  • Glory Box
  • All Mine
  • Over
  • Only You
  • Machine Gun
  • The Rip
  • Magic Doors
  • Chase The Tear
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

i like trip hop, but portishead have for some reason largely passed me by. i do like what I’ve heard tho. 3.

1 Like

Scored them a 4. But probably a 3.5 on reflection, but I’ll round it up.

Favourite song is Wandering Star. Was one of the tracks used on Blueprint’s First Broadcast skateboarding video here. So that was my first exposure to them and it’s really stuck.

That’s a hell of a soundtrack btw

1 Like

4 from me. Dummy is a 5, then a 4 for Portishead, a 3 for Third and a 4.5 for the live album so I’ve averaged it out I guess. Dummy is in my top 10 I think, just remember being absolutely spellbound the first time I heard it, in between all the Britpop, and that feelings never left. I’m going for Roads as the best song, and specifically the live version.

4 Likes

Three for me.

Tempted to make it a 2 for making me wait for 2 hours in the cold wet night for their gig at Glasto 98 tbh.

2 Likes

4 from me too - I think they are great but not 5 great. They passed me by in a way because I was more into Massive Attack, I think (would be an interesting HGATR) so I don’t ever really listen to them, but always really enjoy it when I do. & obviously Beth Gibbons’ voice is amazing.

1 Like

Dunno/5

1 Like

Best gig I’ve ever been to is a Portishead one, 2 perfect records out of 3. Enough for a 5 from me tbh.

3 Likes

First album sounds a bit dated now, but they were extraordinary when they came on the scene and more than enough excellence since to make this a 5 for me.

Cowboys

5 for me Clive, could listen to Beth sing just about anything.

Mental that more time has passed since Third by now than there was between Portishead and Third.

15 Likes

5 from me. I’m now scoring everyone on a, “would I rather listen to them than Bowie?” system. And on reflection I would. Love all 3 albums and they were wonderful the one time I saw them live. Though if it weren’t for the Bowie scale I’d probably knock a point off for taking so bloody long to make anything.

They’re fine

1 Like

Roads, obvs

16 Likes

Three. First two albums do absolutely nothing for me, but Third is a genuine classic. Also had to leave what looks like the one opportunity I’ll ever get to see them live because my mate threw up on the floor of Alexandra Palace and we had to get a £70 taxi back to Tooting. Not saying I’m marking them down for that but it certainly doesn’t help their cause.

3 Likes

5 (and Third is their best album)

2 Likes

So fucking good.

1 Like

4/5. A couple of moments of five-worthiness, but it seems very of its time now, which puts a cap on it for me.