šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Portishead

Literally just realised that the trip in trip hop means trip like on drugs.

1 Like

You know what to do

1 Like

5 from me. ā€˜Dummyā€™ and ā€˜Thirdā€™ are truly great albums and ā€˜Portisheadā€™ is very good.

ā€˜The Ripā€™ is the track i play the most but ā€˜Half Day Closingā€™ from the 2nd album isnā€™t far behind, itā€™s a bit underrated i think.

3 Likes

Belle and Sebastian hgwtr

A 5/5 for me. As a gloomy teenager they were an absolutely perfect soundtrack to self indulgent introspection. As a gloomy adult theyā€™re perfect late Autumn night music. Their ATP curation was one of the best weekends of my life despite breaking up with my ex there.

Also Geoff Barrow curated a one day thing at Colston Hall in Bristol where Crippled Black Phoenix played with an orchestra and ZU were in the entrance hall. Fantastic.

1 Like

As she Grimly walked away
Iā€™m leaving you she said.
And I had nothing new to say
Like the 2nd album by portishead

1 Like

girlfriend in a coma
with a face like hana mandlikova
whenever she served to stay in the match
oh yeah.

the poems were shit

decent but never got that into them. 90s singles always sounded a bit dated to me but i should listen to those albums properly. Third was quite good though, always loved Machine Gun.

prefer Beak> really.

probably gonna abstain on the vote on the grounds of not really having delved far enough into their catalogue

Beth Gibbons is one of the greatest, ever

thereā€™s loads of singers i love who can sing loud and absolutely ruin me emotionally

thereā€™s almost none who can do the same when singing softly but sheā€™s one

3 Likes

5 plus I forgot how good was their ATP line up in 2007 I mean holy shit

https://www.atpfestival.com/events/portisheadatp/lineup

Remember moaning about how disappointed I was in Sparklehorse as he was boring. Wish I didnā€™t say that now :disappointed_relieved:

Third is probably the best-produced album ever. Couldnā€™t make that sentence work however many times I tried to write it but you KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Sonically the best like

1 Like

The ā€œdatedā€ production on Dummy is actually a big draw for me, makes me feel like Iā€™m listening to the radio in some retrofuturist game like Fallout or Bioshock

6 Likes

honestly have no idea whatā€™s so dated about Dummy compared to anything else produced in the 90s

If anything the old samples make it sound pretty timeless to me

4 Likes

Donā€™t think theyā€™ve really put a foot wrong tbh. Havenā€™t listened to Dummy nor s/t in a while but regularly stick on Third. Out of Season is something really special too! Bethā€™s voice is just unworldly.

Pretty great/5. Never got into them initially.Didnā€™t hate them or anything, just didnā€™t quite get the fuss and wasnā€™t too bothered.

Fast forward however many years and Iā€™m inadvertently watching Jools Holland and they launch into Machine Gun. Blown away and the other two songs they played (The Rip and We Carry On, I think) were almost as good. Love that album and the BEAK> stuff but have still never gone back to revisit the early albums.

Have you heard the Quakers album? Thereā€™s a couple of Bristol rappers on that iirc. Superb record :+1:

If B&S had recorded their first two albums*, a live album, and then waited a decade before producing another (which comprised the best songs theyā€™d written between 1998-2008) theyā€™d be a clear 5

* well, three, really. And the EPs before Isobel left