🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Portishead

Tbf it’s not really Friday afternoon music.

4 Likes

Only know Third, but what an album that is. Big old 5 from me. There was a six month period where I just had that album in my car going round and round and round, good times. Sitting at traffic lights with Machine Gun blaring out full whack is great fun, would recommend.

1 Like

Have given a 4 as Third didn’t click with me. If I’d enjoyed it as much as the first two it could even be a 5.

Bit of a nothing band

1 Like

4 from me. They’re bit of a one trick pony, but it’s a bloody good trick.

3 Likes

One of my fave gig memories was their set at their own ATP in 2007. First gig is nearly a decade. Massive anticipation about the new songs. People flown from all over the world for it. Opened with Silence (then unknown) with that long intro and then when she finally started singing - aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :heart:

4 Likes

Love the first two albums a lot. Third didn’t fully grab me. Some great songs but also some other songs. That said, I’m from just over the motorway in Portbury, so giving them a 5 for repping my hood.

1 Like

Trip Hop was my thing when I was 15-18.

Portishead are one of the finest purveyors. Brilliant live too.

Dummy > Third > Portishead for me ta.

I only know that one song.

It’s weird that this is good

Managed to see them play with Massive Attack at a Tsunami benefit gig at the Academy in Bristol in 2005. Massive Attack plaued their set then, if memory serves me correctly Portishead joined them for Karma Coma before playing their set.

3 from me. Can’t say I’ve given them a lot of time over the past 25 years.

You’ve posted almost word for word what my Portishead take is, even down to Roads being the highlight of the live album.

I still remember hearing The Rip for the first time too, and being totally overwhelmed by that moment when it all kicks in. It was so unexpected, it felt like some drug had suddenly been pumped into my body. Such an incredible song, and rare that a song has a physical effect on me like that.

On the basis that Dummy is one of my favourite studio albums, NYC is one of my favourite live albums and I still listen to them fairly regularly, I’m going 5 :+1:

1 Like

5 from me. Three very good albums and a stunning live album. A very compact back catalogue but barely a foot wrong.

2 Likes

the use of Portishead in this ad made me so hyped for Lost (which I subsequently hated)

3 Likes

Iconic ad. Iconic show.

I hate how the last 45 seconds of Machine Gun starts really going somewhere and then it just ends. Should have been 6/7 minutes long

2 Likes

Machine Gun

• Hendrix
  • Portishead
  • Commodores
  • Saxon
  • Slowdive
  • Sum 41

0 voters

Better than Massive Attack? I’m not sure. You might be right. I need to think about it.

NEVERMIND you said ‘one of’. It’s early.

3 Likes

Definitely one of those bands where you forget how good they are until you listen, and it’s SO well done and Beth Gibbons voice is so incredible and then you kick yourself for forgetting.

6 Likes