šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Primal Scream

duking it out with North Country Boy by the Charletans

Two other observations I meant to add:

1. the Give Out: Memphis Sessions album is very good also. Jailbird with horns all over it is incredible

2. I was watching them tear up Reading in 2000 (2001?) and my girlfriend at the time dragged us away to go and watch Shed Fucking Seven in the tent. I married her anyway

3. (yeah, bonus observation, deal with it) To prove there are gems in the later period, this Weatherall mix is possibly the best thing thatā€™s ever come out under their name):

1 Like

Reckon Rocks is worse, and movinā€™ on up isnā€™t far behind

2 Likes

Not a chance, thatā€™s a classic. Still got the tape single somewhere.

3 Likes

think i have also!

1 Like

Really do not like them 1/5

Iā€™ve never heard it.

Was just thinking about the BBC and how itā€™s shifted politically over the last 20-25 years. When ā€˜Starā€™ was released, it was on fairly regular rotation on Radio 1, with the lyric:

The Queen of England, thereā€™s no greater anarchist
One manā€™s freedom fighter is anotherā€™s terrorist*

Canā€™t imagine the Beeb playing this these days without getting a shitload of complaints and then issuing an apology.

*lyrics are pretty ā€˜make u thinkā€™ and a bit cringe but the point still stands.

1 Like

a few good records but so much crap itā€™s unbelievable. average dragged way down to a 2.

not liked any of the singles iā€™ve heard
will try to listen to the acclaimed stuff today just cos iā€™m curious as to what people like about them

1 Like

Some absolute all time great albums and tracks, some pretty weak stuff. Sub in the Memphis Sessions version of Give Outā€¦ and youā€™ve got a run of 4 brilliant albums, each one in its own different way. Really torn between Screamadelica and Vanishing Point for best album. Being more objective about their total output a 3-4 is probably about right, but thereā€™s too much teenage nostalgia wrapped up in their 90s stuff that Iā€™m wheeling out the big 5. Also, on the XTRMNTR tour they just absolutely fucking ripped it. One of my absolute best gigs ever.

1 Like

Very difficult this.

Theyā€™ve fluctuated between great and very terrible for so many years now.

1 Like

Touring XTRMNTR they had this absolutely massive, brutal sound. That album translated really well to live performances. They just nailed this kind of pummeling, intense dystopian wall of noise. Saw them in Newcastle and they opened with Swastika Eyes and it was ferocious. Like 10 seconds in and you knew the gig was going to be an all timer.

9 Likes

Really canā€™t stand them. One of those bands where their popularity baffles me.

1 Like

That was such a good gig, even endured the Foo Fighters to get a good spot.

Can sort of see where some folk are coming from with some of the bashing. I mean if I was at a party, and this does happen cause I have some pals that are HUGE fans, and they stuck on screamadelica Iā€™d probably be rolling my eyes but Iā€™d undoubtedly enjoy it despite having heard it a million times. That said if I never hear Country Girl again it will be too soon. Those viewing them as lumpen or whatever need to give Shoot Speed Kill Light a whack. Saw them touring XTRMNTR at the Barras when it came out and it was fucking immense.

Canā€™t really imagine folk getting into them now but if you were there then thereā€™s a good chance youā€™ll have a soft spot for them.

Bobby G seems like a good guy too.

2 Likes

4/5 maybe. Saw them at Glastonbury in 2005 when Bobby got carted off by security. They were great they were just on the right side of giving needle to the crowd think Shields was with them as well.

2 Likes

Going for a 4.

XTRMNTR is one of the best albums ever made. Certainly in my top 10.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll give s generous 3. Wildly inconsistent

I remember hating PS so much. I was into death metal at the time Sreamadelica came out and I couldnā€™t understand what the hell my friends were banging on about.
Then I caught the end of their set at Felie 94 and I though they were pretty good, until they finished on Loaded. It was a road to Damascus moment and I was now firmly on the Scream team.

I swapped my copy of the Fat of the Land for Vanishing point and I have no regrets. XTRMNTR is a beast of an album. Yes they have a load of shit but the good stuff is gold.

I love ā€œIā€™m losing more than Iā€™ll ever haveā€, the way it slides from average trad rock number into what became Loaded is beautiful, the brass gives me goose bumps ever time.

They should get a 4 but Iā€™ll give them a 5 to off set the terrible takes out there.

6 Likes