šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Prince

Not sure if he knocks Kanye off the top of my personal rankings so far. Will be close

I went to a chinese restaurant once and it was shit. Prince is that restaurant. Because Prince is shit. :joy:

Boring indulgent noodling funk.

Wrote one good song and Sinead O Connor sang that so it doesnā€™t count.

3 Likes

Prince introduced 2 whole generations of my family to the concept of masturbation through the lyrics of Darlin Nikki - for that alone he deserves a 10

Princeā€™s music, lyrics & style are absolutely formative for me in so many waysā€¦it wasnā€™t until years later that I realised just how much he is both a soundtrack to and a kind of spirit guide to my sexual identity & sexual awakening as a teenager, absolutely priceless to have had that.

Just the greatest all round performer really - the guitar playing, the songwriting, the production, the voice. Vastly underrated as a lyric writer too;

ā€œIn France a skinny man died of a big disease with a little nameā€ etc

great dancer as well

Maximum points on all fronts

Also think that Lovesexy is hugely underrated. As ā€˜continous play concept albumsā€™ go it doesnā€™t get nearly the praise it deserves - every bit as good as Whatā€™s Going On? and Dark Side of the Moon and in many ways so, so much better. Itā€™s so rich & thick with ideas itā€™s truly amazing.

Yes I like the Purple One

If he doesnā€™t top this list Iā€™d be frankly amazed

13 Likes

4/5. Clearly a genius and the highs are just amazing. But quite a lot of dross as well

1 Like

I listened to his entire discography in 2014/15 and it was a slog after Love Symbol (albums following were painfully bad, samey and forgettable).

Since last week Iā€™ve listened to everything up until Come (1994) then found a compilation on a Spotify - Anthology: 1995-2010 which is nice and digestible and serves him well.

Also purple rain has the second best guitar solo of all time

1 Like

In the words of the man himself (singing aboutā€¦ himself):

Youā€™re so good
Baby there ainā€™t nobody better (Ainā€™t nobody better)
So you should
Never, ever go by the letter (Never ever)
Youā€™re so cool (Cool)
Everything you do is success
Make the rules (Rules)
Then break them all 'cause you are the best

1 Like

November Rain number 1? :wink:

Fred durstā€™s live guitar solo

4 Likes

probably the most talented musician of our time and his eccentricity was legendary. The ultimate artist.

Fiveeeeee

If we can assume that Iā€™ve posted this in response to anyone not scoring him 5 thatā€™d be great thanks:

4 Likes

Gave him a 5 and I donā€™t even think his music means much to me or speaks to me on any deep level. Thatā€™s how good he was

Wish I could have gone back and given Stevie Wonder a 5 though as in my mind he is as good maybe even better from a talent and songwriting perspective

6 Likes

Five out of five. He made the sublime seem effortless.

Hard to choose a favourite album. I went for Parade in the end because it feels a little under appreciated in his canon, even though it has Kiss, Girls & Boys, Mountains, Sometimes It Snows In Aprilā€¦tunes that any other artist would kill for.

1 Like

The ā€˜I know I know I know I know times are changingā€™ bit in purple rain is alongside the ā€˜the highways jammed with broken heroesā€™ bit in born to run as the best bits in songs ever, and the biggest pops you can get in a karaoke bar

6 Likes

In the pantheon of artists who on paper should be faves but I just donā€™t hear it Prince stands above all of them. I think being a product of the 80s doesnā€™t help - I just canā€™t stand that production. And people talk about him being funky but he was part of the decade that killed funk. Iā€™ve heard nothing of his that can hold a candle to P-Funk, The Meters, the JBs or countless one single and done bands of the golden era.

Iā€™m starting at a 3 for Raspberry Beret alone which Iā€™ve always had a soft spot for. Gonna have another listen to some of his stuff to see if he can make his way out of the ā€˜fair play to you but not for me palā€™ section of my mental cannon.

3 Likes

Yeah, kind of similar here - never really connected with his music, but on the list as it stands from artists already covered there is no place for him anywhere below the first couple.

Edit: a long way of saying he is better than Bowie.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sometimes when Iā€™m just doing boring stuff my brain will start shouting:

I WOULD DIE FOR YOU!
DARLINā€™ IF YOU WANT ME TO

So good.

5 Likes

even easier 1 than queen, another act people only like ironically to piss me off

2 Likes