šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Queens Of The Stone Age

love a ton of their work but they do have some tracks that i find actively annoying. rated r to songs for the deaf is a helluva back to back album hit. first 3.5 albums is a good run overall. some hit n miss since but no outright stinkers i dont think.

first it giveth is my fav single by a long shot.

when that flamenco guitar comes in thats genuinely one of the most pleasing cascades of sounds on record i can think of.

think im going 4

3 Likes

I Appear Missing, Better Living Through Chemistry, Misfit Love, Make it Wit Chuā€¦

Itā€™s a 5

1 Like

Bit generous, he kicked it out of her hands and into her face, hurting her. Seemed to get away with it by virtue of doing it close to Christmas and everyone having forgotten by the new year. I was at that MEN show too and he was indeed off his rocker.

Agreed! Smooth Sailing and If I Had a Tail are playlist staplesā€¦ so groovy

Massively agree.

5 Likes

Josh Homme is an absolute odious prick too. Here he is being a proper bully to a teenager at a festival (video has homophobic language)

Rated R is great, Songs for the Deaf has some very good tracks but I could never be arsed to listen all the way through. No real interest in anything after that.

Josh Homme seems thoroughly unpleasant.

Dunnoā€¦ 2?

Got their self titled album for my birthday the year it came out, when I was in a ā€˜I want to hear anything Kerrang gave five stars toā€™ phase. Still think it sounds great now, itā€™s so chilled and laconic. Riffy lo-fi fuzz and motorik beats. Whatā€™s not to like? It lead me down a bit of a Mans Ruin Records rabbit hole and turned me on to a lot of great stuff like Fu Manchu, Nebula and obviously Kyuss. Big contributor to my love of slow metal now.

Rated R is basically a perfect weird rock album, absolutely rinsed it the summer it came out and it still gets blasted a few times a year. Love the balance it strikes between big pop rock bangers and quiet psychedelia. Saw them in Portsmouth when they were touring that record, must have been about a year before Songs For The Deaf came out and they had Mark Lanegan with them. Incredible show. Goatsnake opened and it was the first time I thought ā€œoh shitā€¦I need some earplugsā€ at a gig.

Went off them a bit after that, Songs For The Deaf had some real standout songs but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever got through it in one go and havenā€™t really bothered with them since. Nick Oliveri is clearly a massive twat but seemed to bring a lot more of the interesting influences to their music.

Desert Sessions produced some interesting stuff - that original version of Make It Wid Chu with PJ Harvey is phenomenal.

On balance, should probably be a 3 but Iā€™ve rated a 4 heavily weighted by the first two albums.

5 Likes

Easy 5

Hated them as a kid/teen then became obsessed in my 20s. Lot of memories tied to them now.

Also Rated R is just immense

Slightly better than the Foo Fighters. 2

2 Likes

Another classic Josh Homme moment (my daughter loves this book and insists we watch this quite often).

3 Likes

2/5 - quite enjoyed the singles when they were first breaking through but never listened to a full album and never thought about doing so.

Eagles of Death Metal might get 3.

Another 5 from me. The self-titled is a near perfect record for me. Rated R is nearly as good and SftD is a bit bloated but contains some brilliant stuff. When they were doing the triple vocalist thing with Homme, Oliveri and Lanegan they were incredible. Managed to catch them 4 or 5 times around then and they were just ridiculously good live.

They were very much a drug band though and thatā€™s never all that sustainable. Oliveri was a ticking time bomb/dangerous idiot and it was only a matter of time before he became too much of a danger to be part of the group. When they started out Homme and Oliveri talked about the band being a revolving door line up and wanting to bring other big personalities in but after Nick was kicked out it inevitably became Josh Homme and some other guys and I lost interest. Seems his ego went supernova around then and he did some unpleasant stuff, as mentioned already. I hope heā€™s genuine when he says heā€™s taken stock and cleaned up.

But yeah, a 5 for that 3 album imperious peak. Also - fuckinā€™ Kyuss, manā€¦

10 Likes

He is still an idiot. One of my pals runs a venue in Southampton and when the Dwarves played here a few years ago he [CW: gross] trashed the dressing room, took a shit in the kettle and left it boiling :nauseated_face:

1 Like

The Dwarves are somehow a 5/5 and a 1/5 band at the same time.

5 Likes

Bought lots of QotSA adjacent records around rated R, still enjoy a listen to the Masters of Reality record they did together

3 Likes

Rock nā€™ roll, baby! Woo!

Such an arse. There are many similar stories around. Itā€™s terrible behaviour at any age but heā€™s pushing 50 now. Just shit in the damn toilet, Nick!

1 Like

I love the Dwarves. Obviously edgelords but they have some right bangers, good fun live too.

2 Likes

Always thought Lullabies is underrated. This Lullaby to I Never Came is an amazing song streak, though it admittedly tails off after

5 Likes

Rated R is a genuinely perfect album, listened to it again quite recently and itā€™s still so so good. There are things I like on all the albums up to and including Era Vulgaris and after that I lost interest. Dreadful people by all accounts but still a strong 4.

3 Likes