🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Rage Against The Machine

Oh shit may have to dock them points then

4 Likes

Also this is fantastic

17 Likes

Good band - I’ve never heard anything beyond the 1st album though

I saw them at reading 94 (I think, maybe it was 95) when they were just breaking through. Definitely the biggest, scariest mosh pit I’ve ever been in. Was fun though

I’m giving them a 4

2 Likes

‘none of these songs have any keyboard effects: it’s all just guitar magic!’

fuck off Tom.

4/5

6 Likes

ROLLIN’ DOWN RODEO WITH A SHOTGUN
THESE PEOPLE AIN’T SEEN A BROWN SKIN MAN
SINCE THEIR GRANDPARENTS BOUGHT ONE

Few people call out injustice with the righteous fire of t’old Zach. Morello’s weird squealing guitar noises grate on me a bit but all 3 albums still stand up for me. If I’d have had to score them back when I went to rock clubs regularly I’d have marked them down to a 2 after years of hearing Killing in the Name twice a fucking night. Time has healed those wounds though so it’s 5/5 from me.

15 Likes

Anyway, a 3 for me because I’m not fussed about anything after the debut. But that had such a powerful impact at the time. Think it was their performance of Killing In The Name on The Word that introduced me to them. Absolutely incendiary! My dad was mysteriously watching it with me, his response was simply “well, that was interesting…” Classic dad.

Indie-club slamming then became a staple for us, but the appeal very much felt like a youthful thing. As I got older, the appeal waned, felt a bit too sixth form politics. But I occasionally return to the debut for a blast of nostalgia. As a straight up rock album, it bangs, no doubt

they’re so badass. i always get pumped af when i see the sleep now in the fire vid. zach can really write lyrics can’t he. i think battle of los angeles is my favourite album of theirs. 5/5

5 Likes

A high 4 from me - never got much beyond the debut, much as I enjoyed it.

Nice touch for them to promote the “keep X Factor off no 1” thing, but instead of running with the profits run a free show and donate their royalties to Shelter.

3 Likes

Never listened to them

6 Likes

Felt genuinely dangerous when they first came on the scene (as a 12 year old anyway) - remember the brief glimpse of a video on TOTP with Zach wearing a ‘fuct’ t-shirt in the Ford logo style, and a few seconds of killing in the name and thinking - woah!

Absolutely rinced the first album. Saw them on the woo! we’re better than x factor! free gig: that was nice.

2 Likes

You’ll both be hearing from flea’s lawyers imminently

4 Likes

Guerilla radio is an all time THPS banger

16 Likes

I’m still utterly convinced the same thing happened with NIN/Closer, but no one else remembers this.

1 Like

Faith no more are properly dreadful eh

8 Likes

Awful take

16 Likes

Saw them at Leeds Fest. Left after 2 songs to see Less Than Jake and had a better time

Liking RATM but not liking FNM seems v. weird for some reason.

2 Likes

(and vice versa - not a dig at you)

Yeah, that disclaimer on the back of the first album seemed a bit weird, especially for a supposedly forward thinking band.

A band I’ve always liked, rather than loved. They do have some colossal bangers. I don’t think anyone’s mentioned Know Your Enemy yet? That’s the bangeriest of them all.

4 Likes

Would have voted for it if it had been a single.

5 Likes