🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Rage Against The Machine

You’ve pretty much said my bit for me!

I rarely feel the need to listen to them now having heard them so many times during my metaller teens, but when I do hear them I always find myself having a great time.

They were also the gateway for me to start opening my ears to hip-hop, which is no doubt a massive cliche, but :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Can we have a sub thread about Zack? Cos his verse on this is :fire:

14 Likes

Yeah, their covers of Microphone Fiend and How I Could Just Kill A Man lead to me seeking out the originals and turned me on to hip-hop.

3 Likes

I used to only know sleep now in the fire cause my sister had the single and i’d listen to it loads and loads. I must have listened to an album to know all the famous songs at some point. anyways I was at my friends nans house the year before last and someone put an album on spotify and it was cool

1 Like

The hook to this gets stuck in my head about once a week on average.

Run 'em jewels fast
Run 'em Run 'em jewels fast

8 Likes

i would say they shaped my politics far more than my musical taste, I’m not really a guitar guy these days. altho i chased up lots of hip-hop when i heard the covers album as a lad and got into some great stuff. it’s mad how almost everything they were saying on their first 3 albums is still relevant.

2 Likes

4, loved them as a teenager but I can’t remember the last time I fancied listening to them.

1 Like

Woah, Killing in the Name as an instrumental intro track just seems so fucked up! :smiley:

Never seen this before. Cheers.

1 Like

“mr anchor assure me that baghdad is burning”

brrr i just got chills

2 Likes

I’d agree with all of that but with Know Your Enemy being the single that never was and 4/5 from me.

What a bizarre opinion.

Good and correct opinion

Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium is an all time great live album too.

1 Like

I think i was a bit put off by them when I got to about 16 cause despite having liked them before that, the only other people who were into them were the big nirvana RHCP fans but that’s me being a bad boy.

1 Like

chasing down all the historical references in wake up was a real eye opener for 13 year old me. “wait…the FBI murder civil rights activists and people who threaten american capitalism? and people are fine with that? but golly that seems like fascism to me!”

1 Like

Still remember seeing them live at Glasgow Barrowlands when they toured their second album. It was absolute carnage. People crowdsurfing on top of people crowdsurfing. Just crazy!!

The Battle Of Mexico City live VHS was fucking brilliant too.

5 Likes

Their politics were genuinely important to me as a young’un. The anti-capitalist stuff obviously, but probably more important was hearing a POC talk about the structural injustices they faced. Didn’t get much exposure to that sort of thing in deepest South Wales during the mid 90s, so it was properly eye opening.

8 Likes

Really not happy with this take. It’s a pretty bad one

5 Likes

Replace the word ‘Wales’ with ‘Devon’ and this sums it up exactly for me too.

2 Likes