šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Run-D.M.C.

When the itā€™s like that remix came out, some kid used to play it on loop for our whole school bus ride. Got quite annoying.

Was a big fan of itā€™s tricky though.

This is pretty much my take on them (and a fair amount of early hip hop tbh). Obviously important but everything the did has been expanded on in so many different ways since their hey day that it canā€™t help but feel dated. If I had been of an age to get into them at the time then it would have sounded like the most exciting thing in the world, but I wasnā€™t and so it doesnā€™t.

3ā€¦ which I think is what I have the Sex Pistols too, with much the same reasoning). Early hip-hop and early punk both end up feeling that way to me. Itā€™s a shame because I know Iā€™m missing out on something that seems to burn brightly for a great many people.

1 Like

This is true, but equally a lot of that early hip hop has wildly inventive beats- in the early days anything went and all sorts of weird things got used. Also some early hip hop was more interesting and adventurous lyrically (Public Enemy being the prime example).

1 Like

Love how noisy raising hell is. Has blown out the cobwebs on many mornings. Good stuff and obviously paved the way for a ludicrous amount of stuff.

Saw them live once at Kentish Town Forum in 1998 when they were riding the crest of the Jason Nevins remix wave.

Recall that it was a burning hot July Friday, and I had had to work late so headed straight to the venue from the office (having strategically switched my work shirt for a t-shirt). Vibe was already buzzing by the time I got there, and they delivered a great fun, sweaty gig. Was impressed by just how many of the crowd were prepared for holding their trainers in the air for My Adidias (I was wearing DMs and therefore abstained) :athletic_shoe:

Has to be a 5 :+1:

I think this was the track that hooked me to Run DMC. To hip hop, maybe. Just felt so raw. Drum break, a scratched loop, a human beatbox, and the word ā€œ'motherfuckerā€.

1 Like

know the hits but thatā€™s about it, those hits are fucking bangers. should really spend some time with the records.

Hmm - I think that might be the same for me thinking back. Up until that point I was mostly listening to recordings off the radio, my parents music, and Nowā€¦ compilations.

I also saw the Adidas leather bomber jackets, that classic logo on a t-shirt - first artists that made me think ā€œThey look coolā€.

1 Like

The Jason Nevins remix is when I first became aware of them (Iā€™m a young whippersnapper compared to some on here) and I bought Crown Royal when it came out because I was peak nu-metal when it came out and wanted more of that rap rock goodness. Think I got their greatest hits around that time.

But it was only last year that I sat down and properly listened to the first two albums. Not sure why it took me so long considering hip hop is my favourite genre of music and it wouldnā€™t be what it is today if it wasnā€™t for Run DMC. But even knowing as much about them as I do, I still donā€™t connect with them as much as I do with other artists from that time period. Donā€™t get me wrong, their singles are some of the best the genre has ever produced. But there is still something stopping me from properly getting into the albums and I canā€™t put my finger on what it is.

Gonna vote 4 for the singles and for the fact they made the only good Christmas song ever.

5/5 great band, their best of is banging.

Responsible for a load of white lads at my school suddenly thinking they could breakdance; 1/5.

itā€™s a 5, obviously

3 Likes

Might be worth a revisit. Know almost nothing about them. Itā€™s not an era of hiphop Iā€™ve got a lot of enjoyment out of (I think Iā€™m right in saying that theyā€™re 80s hiphop), but was starting to like bits and pieces last summer.

It sucked to be at school and not have the money for the adidas that I think RunDMC were involved in advertising.

I like the rawness and simplicity. Anything similar on that note?

Early LL Cool J

3 Likes

Kurtis Blow

2 Likes

scored that from the music league but thanks

1 Like

The album itā€™s from (self titled) is pretty good too.

1 Like

First things that pop into my headā€¦

2 Likes