🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Run The Jewels

The sites gone a bit weird so I can’t find the Run The Jewels thread, but I enjoyed this interview with El-P.

1 Like

Next thing you know we’ll vote modern rock band we actually listen to higher than classic rock back that we’re all supposed to like! Won’t somebody think of the children! :wink:

5 Likes

etc

1 Like

Any cow that is sacred will get defaced
Like any tyrant murderer gets replaced, face it.

4 Likes

well played

1 Like

Dunno… I’m much more likely to listen to RTJ than either of them to be honest. Obviously their cultural impact is relatively immense, but if we’re just rating the music I’d probably take that ranking.

2 Likes

its pretty wild to me that pac/big are only 4-5 years older than elp/km

6 Likes

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

3 years between Biggie and those two! Such a shame we’ll never hear his late career crossover record :frowning:

1 Like

to reiterate my #oldhead stance on this… it’s not that rtj scored above those others (which i expected), its that they are waaay above them. i dont know what it means but its interesting to me to see which rappers/groups see their legend rise while others slip in the eyes of dissers.

obligatory ‘obv non of this matters’ disclaimer applied to all of this.

pac got marked down a lot for non music reasons (and RTJ up for being a gbol), not sure what the explanation for big is though, dis did him dirty

1 Like

true re pac.

if we play the who has more questionable lyrics game im not sure rtj are gonna win that argument.

2 Likes

Think RTJ probably benefited from releasing a very timely and relevant album that’s one of their strongest this year. Suspect if this thread had been last year they’d have been lower.

Biggie on the other hand hasn’t released anything good in over 20 years ffs!

5 Likes

As well as RTJ benefitting, as @BobRickerton said, from recency bias I think all it means is that people who broadly listen to mainly rock and indie are more likely to be Properly Into Run The Jewels than they are Biggie or 2pac and that tracks for me.

I recognise that from a technical standpoint Biggie is one of the best to ever do it but he has been dead for longer than I’ve been seeking out and enjoying music that wasn’t my parents’, and bar 3 or 4 songs I never actively feel like I want to listen to him. and i have tried!

I also think you have to consider that the only people who would mark RTJ low would probably be hip-hop fans, and many of those have given a higher score on the basis of their politics and/or the fact they’re a ‘gateway’ act. People who don’t like hip-hop have probably steered clear; I bet on the biggie and tupac threads there were way more people with a strong opinion on those artists, who didn’t actually listen to the music. Just a hunch.

2 Likes

Missed this vote. Really like RTJ 2 & 4, not fussed with the rest. For me a 3.5 rounded up to 4 cos they seem like GBOLs.

1 Like

yeah saw this yesterday, none in the UK lol. Guess I might give the BRLO one a go

Not often that this is the case but your vote would literally not have made a difference so no harm done.

4 Likes