đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Slipknot

Only heard a couple of tracks, but was enough to know they are pretty much not for me. Remember the drummer being ridiculous though. Was a long time ago though so will give them another go. What’s the best place to start?

My friend Paul got sent home from school for wearing a People = Shit hoodie on own clothes day. That was amusing.

13 Likes

There’s a lot about them that’s really easy to make fun of (the masks, the boiler suits, those two lads who are only there to whack bins with sticks) but they’ve been phenomenally successful for what they are. Despite drawing equal sniffiness from people who do and don’t like metal they’ve been playing arenas for the last 20 years, which is doubly impressive given that they have basically no crossover appeal at all. I think they might be the last metal band to have really made that leap.

There are bits of their music I enjoy. Vol. 3 is a very good album, Iowa has its moments too, but they weren’t ever one of my favourites and I don’t think I’ve listened to them since I was about 16. Saw them live once and they were quite good, although they’d just followed a little band called Slayer so they had a lot to live up to. Overall, generous 3 that’s probably rounded up for their unlikely overall success rather than my enjoyment of their music.

10 Likes

Oh and their drummer these days is Max Weinberg from the E Street Band’s son.

5 Likes

Not really music for 30 year olds is it?
Never been into them at any age mind. Poor mans Mushroomhead.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

I’ve always been too scared to listen to them.

24 Likes

Oh, it was quite funny when they were on TFI Friday that was 50% Slipknot fans (seem to remember they gave tickets away via Kerrang!) and the other half unsuspecting Chris Evans fans who looked traumatised.

12 Likes

Can understand why people make the Mushroomhead comparison and they probably did rip off their imagery, but Mushroomhead were (are?) fucking dreadful.

1 Like

always remember evans introducing the song as “bleed and wait” for some reason

3 Likes

Remember really loving the story when they first came over here that the clown kept a dead crow in his pocket that he’d smell sometimes to make him throw up in his mask. Just utterly knowingly ridiculous. Completely unimportant whether it was true or not.

18 Likes

They are a singles band, tje albums are rubbish

One of the best bands i’ve seen this year

Im nearly 40, i thought i was going to die in the pit, it was really silly, it was great fun

Third album is my favourite, the one that came out last year was good
 First one blew my mind at the time, never got into ‘Iowa’ as much as it wasnt ‘Relationship of Command’

5 Likes

Made him look extremely old too. Dont think the show lasted much longer.

1 Like

Went through the list of songs above and felt the exact opposite.

Doesn’t say “bleed and wait”. Pretty funny video mind.

1 Like

He says it when they’ve finished

2 Likes

Had a full on mid life crisis last year (aged 36) and massively got into them, pretty much all I could listen to for a few months. It peaked in January this year when I went to see them live which was just a fantastic experience.

Despite the image of them and their lyrics theyre just fun, really can put a smile on my face when I’m in the mood.

So gone for a 5

7 Likes

was huge into them when I was 12-13 and they were a good gateway band. Haven’t listened to anything for about 10 years. Would see them live if I had to but mainly just to observe their fans, like being at the zoo

1/5

2 Likes

First 2 albums are mint. Great writing music when I’m pissed off

4 to counter the bores

5 Likes