šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Sonic Youth

Thereā€™s a pretty big difference in sound between the first album and Confusion is Sex to me.

yep new thread for def. iā€™ll start the thread today, start the listening next monday!

5 Likes

Yeah for sure, just think that thereā€™s a bigger jump between Sonic Youth / Confusion / Kill Yr Idols and Bad Moon Rising and those first three are more of a piece with each other.

Obviously not my decision though, and thinking about it, as itā€™s going to be a fairly big undertaking anyway getting through the entire catalogue, may be better to take it slow and do each one separately

This is surely the right thread for me to ACKSHUALLY you that Confusion is Sex surely is the first album and SY is just an EP?

Disagree. This seems to be something which has been retrospectively decided by fans just because itā€™s short. Donā€™t think the band have ever considered it to be anything other than an album and thatā€™s how itā€™s listed on Discogs, so it must be trueā€¦

Edit: and I definitely didnā€™t pay EP price for it!

1 Like
3 Likes

Ah yes, fair point

http://sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/index.html

Itā€™s listed by them under albums. Just v short I guess and seems shorter the longer you go into their career :slight_smile:

EDIT for having found the discussion in the SY talk page (itā€™s still listed as an EP, hey ho)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sonic_Youth#Sonic_Youth_EP_classification

Iā€™m sure they think it is a studio album, but why should the artistā€™s opinion on the recordā€™s classification override the technical fact of this being an EP and not a studio album? It is clearly an extended play. They can call it a single if they like, it wonā€™t technically make it one.

Wow.

4 Likes

Well, you can prove anything with Technical Facts canā€™t you?

4 Likes

On the original cassette you get the songs forward on side a and the same songs backwards on side b, so it is kind of album length on the first pressings, despite what Lachlan Foley thinks

5 Likes

itā€™s one of those records that i would consider an EP but the band insists isnā€™t

maybe iā€™ll make this in audacity for the first week (i wont)

2 Likes

when i used to look at Fall forums there were always endless tedious arguments over whether Slates is an EP, album or mini album as well

1 Like

slates rules, its an album in my eyes

1 Like

What about in your ears

5 Likes

turns out i can edit the title so thatā€™s good. finally my DiS Premium subscription is coming good :pray:

Legend

1 Like

I dug Washing Machine out of a pile of old CDs at the weekend and have been listening to it properly for the first time since it came out. What a great record. I donā€™t think I really appreciated it at the time. A near perfect blend of pop sensibility and experimentation.

1 Like

Yup. Swap out the compromise version of The Diamond Sea for the full length version and it is perfect!

I love the version on the album to be fair,

How long is the non-compromise version?

Join the listening club, your thoughts would be appreciated.

3 Likes