🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Stereophonics

I bought the first two Stereophonics albums because all my mates at school were into them. I gave them away soon after, the first time I relinquished music I’d bought with my own money. Worse than Cast, Ocean Colour Scene and Shed Seven.

2 Likes

Is he lined up BTW? Could give him anything from a 2-5 depending on how recently I’ve listened to GOTGH

Whenever someone says “that’s the worst song I’ve ever heard” or something similar, my first thought is always, “ah but is it as bad as Step On My Old Size Nines by the Stereophonics?”. And it never, ever is.

5 Likes

She ate a baby?

12 Likes

He is. Saving it for Christmas Day.

This is now the Mark Kozelek thread

2 Likes

guy with curly hair in the middle there looks like my mum’s cousin’s ex wife

Only the band the stereophonics could have been

It doesn’t get any better…

One o’clock in the morning
And I’m leaving from the club
My friends are having a party
Kind of feel I’ve had enough

At two o’clock in the morning
Sure I’m at their party house
I meet the roommate getting some water
She got a baby in her stomach

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Three o’clock in the morning
We hear a scream above the sounds
Looks like the baby in her belly
Thinks it’s time to come on out

Four o’clock in the morning
I’m driving all over the road
I swerve a dog on the high street
And crash into the post

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

She can’t wait any longer
I got to help her come into the world
The police try to arrest us
But then they see the baby girl

Five o’clock in the morning
I’m drinking coffee on the ward
I take a walk in to see her
Tells me 'bout the dad that took off

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
All in one night
All in one night

Six o’clock in the morning
And now we’re twenty-two months along
She ask me to be the daddy
And get married when it snows

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
All in one night
All in one night
All in one night
All in one night, one night
All in one night

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Oh oh oh oh oah oh
Oh oh oh oh oah oh

2 Likes

Pretty impressive to be able to top Have a Nice Day as your own overly-ubiquitous song. Think Dakota is about as good as a mid2000s rock radio single gets

Dreadful. 1

1 Like

Wonderfully backhanded

6 Likes

Was gonna say radio single, then remembered the reason I didn’t rate any pop songs at the time was because I was a classic snotty indie 15 year old and that a lot of them were actually probably … good

The Crocketts!

5 Likes

adding a point for wayne rooney’s tattoo

7 Likes

This this revisit similar ground to my Manics post, but the phonics are another band who had a big impact on me moving to Wales aged 10. It’s weirdly specific with this band because my year 6 primary school teacher claimed to know the band and one afternoon we did an art lesson where we had to use collage techniques to create a single cover for Local Boy in the Photograph, after listening to and discussing it for inspiration. Think she also told us she would send our designs to them and they might be used? Seems unlikely looking back.

Anyway, first album is classic in my eyes, some great songs, but obviously hugely diminishing returns, think it’s hard to understate the role Stuart Cable had and since he left (and his sad death) they’re just a totally different band.

Bangers

8 Likes

Like 1000 Trees, really like Dakota and oddly enough Maybe Tomorrow always seems to strike some sort of nice melancholic chord with me despite being probably bollocks.

Have a Nice Day may be the most boring piece of music recorded by a human to date. The rest of their discography is less memorable and almost certainly does not exist.

2 - just

Never has a band released so much and said so little

5 Likes

So boring. So shite.

Any 5/5 folks going to be in here? I still have their first 7" somewhere which i’m more than happy to trade for pretty much anything