šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The 1975

Oh great this is going to be fun :roll_eyes::pensive:

2 Likes

And Dennis from Auf Wiedersehen Pet is his Dad

4 Likes

Get these confused with alt-j

Not sure I could him a tune by either of them though sorry

I donā€™t really think who peopleā€™s parents are really matters in the context of what they create (though obviously privilege enables you to do a vast amount of stuff). I feel bad for him a lot of the time, because I think he comes across as naive but blustering and as @JaguarPirate said he sometimes comes out with things that are just so moving and beautiful. I just ā€¦ I donā€™t know why but I canā€™t get my head around him, and because I feel like heā€™s very much the centre of it and I canā€™t separate him from the art I struggle to latch onto it. I think A Brief Inquiry contained some incredible writing, and the production and arrangements are awesome. But something about the whole package doesnā€™t quite click for me, which is annoying because it really should, itā€™s exactly the sort of thing I like.

1 Like
  • the one nine seven five
  • the one thousand, nine hundred and seventy-five
  • the nineteen-hundred and seventy-five

0 voters

Subtract 1974 from a sum of 1975, and the number youā€™re left with is the score Iā€™d give them.

6 Likes

Blink One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Seventy-Five

3 Likes

Do think thereā€™s a curse of Ed where he has so perfected replicating styles of modern music that everything, including The 1975, kind of starts sounding like Ed.

1 Like

The 19 75

2 Likes

There was a video where he grabbed one of the roadies who was fixing a technical fault mid song and gave him a kiss and the roadie was clearly so uncomfortable and he sort of went along with it because thousands of people were screaming. The son of loose woman has just let all the fame go to his head.

1 Like

Feels like he wasnā€™t being actively racist here, just thoughtless and self promoting.

6 Likes

Obviously going off in a huff about it is not a good look either.

2 Likes

Get the sense that heā€™s a bit earnest and goes for the ā€œonline languageā€ angle sometimes and misses the mark as a result, but always get the sense that his heartā€™s in the right place on the whole. This was genuinely a really good thing to do:

Iā€™d be perfectly happy to listen to them even if theyā€™re not really my thing on the whole tbh.

8 Likes

I both like them more than I expected I would and dislike them more than I expected I would

This is what I was getting at. As someone who has a history of putting their foot in their mouth, but who thankfully lacks a platform of any kind, I canā€™t help but feel really bad for him when he clearly does something thoughtless. He doesnā€™t seem great at reacting to criticism either, and it makes him look utterly uncaring a lot of the time. I donā€™t think heā€™s bad as such. I think to an extent itā€™s like the whole progressives in politics thing; if youā€™re going to position yourself as St Wokeness then you have to be extra thoughtful and extra sensitive to the needs of others, because you really look like a massive hypocrite if youā€™re then just flailing around saying shit and having to issue weird retractions. Because his writing is so personal it makes it hard for me, personally, to listen to it.

(In case itā€™s not obvious I spent a while when ABI came out tussling with this in my head lol)
(Also, this is a big reason why itā€™s great that Iā€™m not famous, because I would have to just say nothing at all; not because Iā€™m a massive bigot or anything, but because I am a big old chunderhead)

2 Likes

They did do this song with Phoebe Bridgers which is pure Sufjan worship but I can fuck with that.

2 Likes

Think he deleted his twitter not in a huff but cos he realised if he didnā€™t heā€™d keep putting his foot in it

6 Likes

Ah yes. The Gap Band

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a good reason why some people have their Twitter accounts run by a PR person! Even thinking about how it must have felt to have mis-stepped that badly gives me the cringe shivers, I canā€™t imagine how bad he would have felt.

2 Likes

Got no reason for cominā€™ to me
And the rain runninā€™ down
Thereā€™s no reason
And the same voice
Cominā€™ to me like itā€™s all slowinā€™ down
And believe me

I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry ever after
Nine-teen, seventy-five

3 Likes