šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Bee Gees

The Daft band name is their initials isnā€™t it?

Did a superb job of looking like they were in their mid 50s for their entire career

2 Likes

Itā€™s after Barry Gibb isnā€™t it?

1 Like

That chorus is brilliant.

Barryā€™s ā€œdivisiveā€ falsetto gets all the attention, but Robinā€™s voice is properly amazing.

1 Like

Really donā€™t like any of their music, but on the other hand have some respect for it. As per various other comments, a Mum and Dad band for me too, but more a bury my head in my hands and pretend that Iā€™m not related kind of thing.

Personal taste itā€™s a 1, but think they deserve a bit more credit than that. Canā€™t bring myself to go higher than a 2 though.

clive anderson was being a proper dick all the way through there tbf, just low key slagging them off. weird thing to make yer man pack it in but fair dos

Yes Iā€™ve just watched it again and itā€™s far nastier than I remember. Was that just Clive Andersonā€™s interview-style though?

I do enjoy his interview with young Vic and Bob

They shut him up

Yeah on the one hand they come across as quite humourless, but on the otherā€¦ I get the sense that The Bee Gees never felt they got the respect they deserved as songwriters/artists. So when someone like Clive Anderson makes constant low level jabs at them it seems fair enough that theyā€™d be like ā€œyou know what, fuck thisā€. Wouldnā€™t have done that if heā€™d had I dunno Paul McCartney and George Harrison on the show.

1 Like

That said Clive Anderson gets a free pass for eternity for opening an interview with Jeffrey Archer with ā€œJeffrey Archer, is there no beginning to your talents?ā€

3 Likes

It was, although he definitely went easier on people he liked. Thereā€™s an interview with Bill Hicks where heā€™s just basically feeding Hicks lines so he can work in bits of his stand up routine and Hicks genuinely seems to enjoy the interview

2 Likes

Thee Oh Bee Gees

1 Like

yeah and its from the very start, just him being a dick. and actually the gag that makes them walk out is probably his best in the interview, which i guess is why gibb#3 is left sat there, coz he thought they were just messing about. but yeah i think fair enough really, he is being a prick, they were invited on the show to talk about their career so fuck him

1 Like
2 Likes

Theyā€™ll get a 3 for I Started A Joke alone.

3 outta 5

i expect iā€™ll be the only person to vote for their debut

Hmm

I was one of those kids who was forced to grow up with Spirits Having Flown & Guilty permanently on the ā€˜music centreā€™

Not sure exactly how much my parents generation knew how many coke habits they were funding in buying these records but there were clues

anyway

undeniable songwriters, with great grooves but could be as cheesy as all hell, sometimes in the space of one song

too stinky though ultimately so Iā€™m gonna give them a 3

and, as great as the verses in LYIO or the Grease theme are, @littlebirds is right in that they really did do that reselling black music back to white America/Britain thing, and quite specifically that mfsb/Philly disco sound - itā€™s undeniable

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, your ā€œpreferred their early stuffā€ indie points are already in the post.

1 Like

4/5.

Not my thing at all, but I have fond memories of Beavis and Butthead watching Jive Talkinā€™, and Billy Corganā€™s cover of To Love Somebody on his 2005 solo album (with Robert Smith on backing vocals) is one of my favorite songs of that decade.

I like the brother in the hat, seems the most affable throughout and then only leaves because the other two have already fucked off. Still throws in a friendly little goodbye. Good lad, shame he died so young.

Donā€™t like the other two.

1 Like