šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Clash

Man, I love Rudie Canā€™t Fail. Saw Joe Strummer live at the Liquid Room shortly before he died. He started the gig with a few solo songs which received a muted response then yelled ā€œON THE ROUTE OF THE 19 BUS!ā€ and it was a mental atmosphere from then on. Bahā€¦ Great gig.

7 Likes

Combat Rock is a real ā€˜what-ifā€™. From reading biographies I think Mick wanted it to go in some really interesting-sounding directions but the rest of the band pushed back. Know Your Rights is a disaster of an opening track.

The Future Is Unwritten is a brilliant documentary on Joe btw. Well worth a watch.

2 Likes

Just reading about Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg nowā€¦and the ā€˜Londonderryā€™ bootleg

such rarities that I canā€™t even stream them, might have to investigate

Important band and huge respect for what they did but their music just doesnā€™t grab me. Donā€™t think itā€™d bad but it just never hooked me

1 Like

Genuinely think theyā€™re terrible. 1/5.

2 Likes

For some reason, when I made this thread, I thought fleetingly ā€˜I bet Kallgeese hates The Clashā€™, and I donā€™t know why. I didnā€™t want it to be true, obviously, but here we are. What a ridiculous opinion, I feel nothing but sorrow for you :wink:

1 Like

Clampdown is probably in my top 10 songs of all time.

3 Likes

The Clash are crap

(Wish these threads were back in the Social board)

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind moving them back, just donā€™t want to annoy anyone now Iā€™m doing the food one too.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, I spent most of Friday listening to The Clash after reading this articleā€¦

So many great songs. One of the all time greatest bands :+1:

4 Likes

Absolutely baffling why anyone likes this band.
I remember getting London Calling when I was a teenager (early 90ā€™s) and being excited that it was going to be punk as fuck or something and all I got was dad music.

Their existence still annoys me.

5 Likes

it confused your mind and that actually is punk as fuck

3 Likes

Punk should be less boring then?

4/5. Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve never heard any other punk bands because I think punk is only really good for about 1 album

They were only punk for the first album really. They were widely mocked as well by the punk scene once they signed to CBS or whatever it was. The punk label does them a disservice ultimately, they always had a wider view.
London Calling isnā€™t my favourite of theirs, itā€™s become one of those ā€˜proscribedā€™ (edit:proscribed? prescribed!) albums but thereā€™s an amazing run of tracks in the first half in particular. Can see why it might have an air of staidness to it from a certain perspective.
Iā€™d dig deeper into Sandanista/Super Black Market if youā€™re still inclined to give them a chance -
thereā€™s some haunting narrative-cinematic-type stuff on the former and some of their best off-the-cuff experiments on both

2 Likes

Solid 4, love the early stuff but the later stuff lost its way a bit imo. Still good though. Favourite track is hard to call, but I have safe European home in my head so letā€™s call it that. Could be WMIPH, Rudie Canā€™t Fail, Police on my Back, Lost in the supermarket, Police and Thieves and countless others. Love the clash

1 Like

5/5. Voted for Bankrobber as favourite, even though itā€™s actually Death or Glory, just because I heard it so much on Skate 2 or 3 or a Tony Hawkā€™s game. Dunno. Great bunch of lads and songs.

4 Likes

Love From Here to Eternity.

ā€œIl y a une white man dans le Palais dans Hamersmeethā€¦ One, two. One, two, three, four!ā€

1 Like

Really like:
Guns of Brixton
London Calling
Train in Vain

Canā€™t be arsed with:
Everything else

Fight me. Iā€™ll see you and your own hot takes in :musical_note: How Good Are They Really :musical_note: Primus

1 Like