šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Cure

Pretty sure Led Zep gain a lot of new fans each passing year. Iā€™d imagine a hell of a lot more than the Rolling Stones with their continued live showings.

LZ left behind a strong discography, much like The Beatles. Imagine if the Stones called it a day in 1972, theyā€™d probably have fared a lot better here.

Yeah I guess rock has come back a bit.

I just recall when they remastered all the LZ albums in the 90s it was telling those CDs came in at the mid-price ~Ā£8 point while Beatles albums were still at the laughable ~Ā£15 level. LZ were never a band that had that sort of impact. The Stones were similar - everyone knew the big singles but no one actually bought their stuff.

Led Zeppelin have always had more of a cultural impact in America though as they were played all the time on radio there in the 70s. They didnā€™t get much radio play here as they didnā€™t release singles.

1 Like

That best of with the crop circles on the cover was everywhere in the early 90s though wasnā€™t it - all the metal kids into Metallica, GNR etc were well into that.

1 Like

The big rock bands I think have retained more credibility in mainland Europe as well where the English language element has always given them cache and a slightly left field element compared to the UK where ubiquity has maybe just dented how they are perceived.

1 Like

Bit late to the party - but The Cure would be an easy 5 from me, because:

a) theyā€™re brilliant; and
b) personal reasons.

In 2004 I went on my first holiday with my girlfriend (now wife). We went to Rome for a long weekend. On our last night we ventured over to the Jewish Quarter, because weā€™d heard it was great for eating/drinking. There was absolutely no-one around, so we (despondently) ventured back towards our hotel.

On crossing the river we discovered The Cure just launching into a free live set on the street outside of the Colosseum. It was absolutely magical. It was that night - joyously dancing to those songs in the street with her - that I realised that I was, you know, rather fond of my girlfriend.

This was the setlist FWIW:

26 Likes

That is some serious serendipity right there :+1:

1 Like

Someone should write a film about this.

2 Likes

Yeah, whatā€™s Richard Curtis up to these days?

That said, anyone seen Mike Leighā€™s film Career Girls? The soundtracks features The Cure loads, plus itā€™s set just when Wild Mood Swings has come out :+1:

That said, would you really want Mike Leigh making a film of your life :thinking:

ooooh, a live stream of their Sydney Opera House gig next week. Think it will be about 11am Thursday in British money?

Been meaning to rewatch Career Girls - I remember it being quite different in some ways to Mike Leighā€™s other films.

Yeah, I remember it being ā€˜relativelyā€™ easy goingā€¦

Really?? I mean itā€™s not Naked, but itā€™s still pretty devastating. Great film though, think it might be my favourite of his.

This should be in the Music threads!

1 Like

Iā€™ve always considered they would have left a perfect development and trail of albums had they split after The Head On The Door, although I acknowledge they made some very good records after that. My reasoning being every album until THOTD changed and they developed, clearly and added something new or went in a new direction. After THOTD they re-released a bunch of early singles and honestly I feel started to rehash what they had already done. Iā€™m glad they are still around in ways. I think they knew and to an extent acknowledge they could never top A Forest as a single and Seventeen Seconds as an album.

Alright stop showing off that youā€™ve drank from the elixir of eternal youth. Fifteen years ago I wasā€¦ 17.

1 Like

Seventeen Seconds is great but itā€™s barely an album

you wot m59?

What is it then? A pastry-chef? A 19th century fowling piece? A length of string?

4 Likes

It just feels a bit slight in comparison to everything they released after. Thereā€™s a few interlude-y tracks and maybe 7 tracks proper? Not that it really matters, an LP is an LP, but i just thought it sounded a bit curious that youā€™d think it couldnā€™t be bettered as a long-playing experience

Well I think they did better it with Disintegration, but I also think that 17 seconds is a great example of the ā€˜album as a cohesive wholeā€™ thing. One of the real strengths of 17 seconds is how well it creates a mood for the entire duration: it hangs together better than almost any LP I can think of: each track adds to and is supported by the ones around it.

1 Like