đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” The Doors

Incredibly voice, but a lot of faux profundity in the lyrics. The overall sound though really does click for me. The mid-section of Light My Fire and the live version of Roadhouse Blues from the box set are favourites.

4 - might up to a 5 if they’re getting an unfair kicking

really hard to pick from the greatest hits but ended up going with la woman. peace frog a close second. riders third. but my two fav doors tracks arent on there:

hyacinth house (get hooked by the guitar/bass but stay for the lovely organ solo)

yes the river knows (get hooked by the piano but stay for the lovely guitar solo)

Tried to listen to the L.A. Woman album on a drive to Cork recently and turned it off before the end. So much bollocks on it.

I will maintain that the track ‘L.A. Woman’ is only as good as it is because of Jerry Scheff’s bass playing AND HE WASN’T EVEN IN THE BAND

1 Like

Refuse to believe anyone voting for LA Woman has heard the whole album
or maybe they’ve never heard 12 bar blues before because while Riders on the Storm is excellent the rest of it is soooo dull.

Anyway, I love Strange Days, I really enjoyed the film and other stuff the band put out.

It’s touching that they are all convinced he wasn’t like he was portrayed in the film but then Danny Sugarman’s Wonderland Avenue portrays him just like Stone’s film.

If you’d asked 25 years ago it would have been one of the easiest 5’s. I still love them but less so. I’m between 4 or 5 . I saw them at Rock City (minus Morrison obviously) and they were amazing. Krieger looked about 106 back then. I’m gonna go for 5 to counter the hate.

Was really into them when I was 16. Never listen to them now but still a 4.

My physics teacher at school looked exactly like Ray Manzarek.

Proper unequivocally shite

Such a 1

6 Likes

Hated them at 15

Nothing them now

Might spend a bit of time today seeing if I can find something to bump the 1 to a 2.

Another in the got really into them when I was 15 camp. First time I found a decent second hand record shop and the joy of records I picked up all their studio albums for a few quid and rinsed them. Weirdly felt like a slightly alternative discovery compared to The Beatles, Stomes etc. This is before the film.

But yeah it was a brief affair, not sure I listened to them for even a year tbh.

A few years ago I had a record clear out and sold them. Because I hadn’t listened to the albums in 25+ years I gave them a spin to check they were ok to sell and tbh they were kind of fun and I reckon have held up ok, probably a lot better than a lot of their contemporaries tbh. As others have said it’s the shorter,.poppier stuff that holds up; the epic poetry stuff is a load of codswallop but even that I find a little endearing because it’s so silly. Always had a soft spot for organ stuff so I think those silly organ solos appeal a lot more to me than say guitar solo equivalent.

So I dunno score wise. Maybe 3 I guess.

2 Likes

That bit in the film where they all pop down the beach for 5 minutes and Ray just comes up with the Light My Fire organ definitely happened and wasn’t at all artistic license.

1 Like

Lotta folks made a decision about this band when they were 15 huh.

4 Likes

Interest piqued

4 Likes

Was about to say “I remember getting into them when I was about 15” but turns out everyone that’s ever liked The Doors did so.

3/5, though I kinda like the noodly bollocks.

3 Likes

I certainly did. A band so utterly, unequivocally shit they couldn’t even do the best song on the soundtrack of their own biopic.

3 Likes

I hated the doors when I was 15 but gained a bit more appreciation as I’ve got older. Haven’t listened extensively beyond the s/t and singles as some of it doesn’t do much for me. Although The End is mesmerising and yes used to great effect in Apocalypse Now

A fence sitting, 3.

Never really got them, the couple big songs are ok I guess?

Find them quite boring and indulgent tbh.

A point added because The End was very effectively used in Apocalypse Now.

2/5.

Not a band I’ve ever really listen to out of choice.

My brother did get a Doors greatest hits album for Christmas when he was a teenager. He was listening to “When You’re Strange” on a loop and my Grandad walked in and did some weird mime-artist dance to it for some reason. Still makes me laugh, so I do like that song

9 Likes

Like others have said here, I got into them when I was younger but haven’t really listened to an album for a good while, Strange Days was always my favourite. It’s a 4 from me.

1 Like

I think it was that terrible film that did it for the doors.

I’ll go 3 - nowhere near as bad as the some say, but nowhere near as good as the other say.

1 Like