šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Eagles

I think Iā€™d like them better if they were called The Beagles

1/5

8 Likes

One Of These Nights is an extraordinary bit of work, a fantastic piece of production, comfortably one of my favourite songs ever. They were listening to a lot of the soul music on the radio stations particularly The Spinners and Al Green, loved that stuff and so fancied having a go at doing something similar even though it wasnā€™t really in their wheelhouse. Don and Glen wrote it together and Frey says in the liner notes of the CD years later ā€œIt made me exceedingly happy, itā€™s my favourite Eagles song.ā€ They pretty much perfected the soul mood on it too, then left it to stand alone, never really did anything quite like that again. Itā€™s not pastiche either, thereā€™s no eyebrow being raised, just a totally heartfelt homage, a straight-faced attempt to do something really warm and atmospheric to get away from their usual sound. If Daft Punk had written it for Random Access Memories weā€™d never have heard the end of it.

8 Likes

Canā€™t stand them

1 Like

1/5. Just the dreariest, most offensively middle of the road claptrap of all the ā€˜classicā€™ artists. Hotel California is one of my least favourite songs of all time.

Boys Of Summer is a big olā€™ tune though.

4 Likes

Which song?

Hotel California

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve probably heard others on the radio or passing but none of those single titles look familiar other than Desperado but I canā€™t recall hearing it

Absolutely fucking hate them. Total horseshit. I lived in the US for a year in 94/95 when that Hell Freezes Over was released and it was everywhere. You could feel the smugness seeping from the radio. Hotel California is the worst song of all time. Plus Don Henley was dodgy as fuck. Never pressed 1 so fast in my life.

2 Likes

no New York Minute in the best track poll?

I donā€™t understand why Hotel California is such a massive song. I donā€™t even hate it, itā€™s just there. Complete nothing of a song.

2 Likes

This is good.

Actual Eagles I really donā€™t know beyond HC. Seen the odd video of them and thereā€™s something smug and mean and just off putting about them for some reason, just donā€™t want to listen to them.

Couldnā€™t be bothered to type out all their singles so just did it from a Best Of tracklist.

Edit: wasnā€™t even a single so no, wouldnā€™t have been there anyway.

1 Like

Basically they were very good at writing songs (as mentioned above, always strong on melody and harmony) in a style that was super popular in the 70s, so they sold a shitload of records. I get why people are turned off by their MOR stylings and their record sales seem disproportionate to their quality, but they knocked out some pretty decent material. Always felt a little like a more mainstream Steely Dan to me, similar kinda vibe and sound in parts, but with the more interesting edges sanded off (and less good all round).

1 Like

Like seemingly everyone else here, my dad loves them. Heā€™s male, white and over 60, so that figures I suppose.

I donā€™t love them, but thereā€™s a bit of nostalgia associated with them. I never latched onto them like my dadā€™s other loves (Beatles, Bowie and, to a lesser extent, Dylan), but I donā€™t hate them. They have some nice harmonies. Theyā€™re just very Johnnie Walker Sounds Of The 70s arenā€™t they. Leather jackets, bootcut jeans and shiny cars.

Best song any of them did is Boys Of Summer.

My mum is a big fan. I thought they were largely a punchline within my own age group but I think Iā€™ve managed to disappoint two work friends with my lukewarm anti-Eagles takes.

Itā€™s a 1 from me, sorry mum.

2 Likes

The cinema in Dundalk played the Eagles greatest hits before every film for about 10 years.
I hate the Eagles for that alone. Itā€™s the kind of boring music that just makes me angry if itā€™s played near me.

1 Like

5 Likes

What weirdly bitter song lyrics

I quite like some of the early songs like ā€˜Peaceful Easy Feelingā€™ however, there is something very calculated about them. It just seems like the music was constructed to be a watered down version of better bands (Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons) in order to sell as much as possible.

1 Like

The Eagers.

2 Likes

Worth noting that anything prior to 1991 is probably a bit skewed I reckon. Also I seem to recall anything pre-1980 is slightly suspect in terms of verified units shipped so, you knowā€¦maybe?

But also a lot of modern genres didnā€™t even really exist in 1976 I suppose.

Plus {obviously this bit is highly anecdotal} youā€™ve got the whole question of DJs and dancing to music in clubs which I understand was a new thing back then. A friend of my parents who played drums in bands once said to me how strange he remembered it was when that began to happen in earnest and he claimed it was the Disco era. He framed it as previously he basically had a job for life as a drummer because people wanted to dance to loud rock bands and so you needed a lot of them out there and they always wanted a good drummer (which he was).