šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Eagles

Yeah they clearly connected with a huge number of people and epitomized a certain type of rock music that developed out of the late 60s through the 70s.

I always had them down as band who were massive in the U.S. but basically ignored in the UK but itā€™s pretty clear from this thread that isnā€™t true - lots of ā€˜my dad is a massive fanā€™ comments.

Iā€™m liking the Daft Punk analogy someone made upthread a bit. Iā€™ve always been a bit bemused at their size and sheer record sales numbers. They are too old even for me generationally to have any real meaningful bond with.

However, there is a time for their music, like now (at time of writing), early morning mellow coffee time, doot doot dootā€¦

Feeling they will get a bashing on DiS, but there is quality songwriting and playing going on here. Their most well known track is so well known for a reason and I personally love it. There is something nice about how they play together so perfectly in harmony. Not harmony as in the harmonies, but they way they do not try to one up each other and the way the whole sound blends together.

3 because I want to be cool, but they are better than that.

8 Likes

My Uncleā€™s favourite band.
Spent 10k on an incredible stereo to sit there in a remote lower North-Island town and listen to the Eagles and Dire Straits exclusively.

I wouldnā€™t hate them as much if they werenā€™t so overplayed on FM radio during my youth, on the other hand this pushed me into looking for better stuff, so cant give them a 1

A low 2 from me, quite like Desperado.

Two dates at Wembley this summer :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

ā€œLONDON WEMBLEY STADIUMā€

Aye, thatā€™s where they keep it.

desperadoā€™s alright. in an obvious sort of way.

Only person Iā€™ve ever known IRL who really loved them was a girlfriend I had in sixth form. She was Iraqi/British, female and 17.

Suspect sheā€™s an outlier though.

I once found a copy of ā€˜Hotel Californiaā€™ on 7" in a charity shop which I gave to her as a present. Iā€™ve tried very hard to avoid looking at what it sells for on Discogs in case itā€™s worth millions. We split up shortly after I gave it to her.

1 Like

Itā€™s not worth much. I got it from a charity shop too for 20p about 10 years ago.

phew!

Iā€™m not going to give them a rating tbh because Hotel California is the only song of theirs I know and I have absolutely no interest in exploring further.

1 Like

A 2 because I simply donā€™t hate them as much as most of the bottom 20 or so, and because the best thing that came of the Eagles was Don Henleyā€™s Boys Of Summer, which I shall now proceed to shit up the thread with the wrong version of:

3 Likes

I donā€™t think weā€™re talking enough about how well dressed certain musicians are or how good their hair is in these threads. and i for one think itā€™s important. :grinning:

8 Likes

Been a while since weā€™ve had an absolute clogger eh

3 Likes

NiN wasnā€™t that long ago pal.

2 Likes

Boys of Summer isnā€™t good either. Was always baffled by the love it got on here.

1 Like
5 Likes

I donā€™t know the Ataris beyond the name TBH

This needs to be covered by Natalie Imbruglia, I think that would work really well.

Fair enough.
Their cover was around during many DiSers formative years and got lots of Kerrang TV play so maybe a factor.
Dunno

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Oh Iā€™m clueless. Honestly had no idea they were popular in the UK.