🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Four Tops/The Temptations

5/5/5/5

Also <3

3 Likes

I was embarrassingly old when I found out this was a (very good) cover.

I will abstain because I don’t know enough of either bands music but will happily spend a few hours this afternoon ploughing through some best ofs.

@IvorDewdney I think you are perfectly within your rights for this indulgence and it is nice to read your enthusiasm. I’d also like to add my thanks for these polls / threads, for they have been a true saviour over the last year. I know they have been going longer than a year but they have taken on a new level since the first lockdown, even if I’m only speaking for myself here, which I doubt.

The HGATR threads have galvanised focus on the music boards. I personally have found lots of new music this way and / or given artists a chance and liked them after I’d possibly already made my mind up incorrectly sometimes.

Even if I don’t like the featured artists, I love reading when someone posts one of those posts, which these threads allow the perfect playground for. It feels like DiS has been through a storm of late and I miss the lack of interaction with some DiSers who have stepped away, I hope that is temporary in many cases.

For a bunch of strangers on an obscure music forum these things should not really matter, but they have given people a reason to get out of bed, to express themselves creatively, to argue and make up, to roll dice, to laugh at a screen, to listen to new sounds.

Not up to me of course, but I’d love to see people return and I’d love HGATR to continue, for over an insanely difficult year, these threads have been a huge positive…

More please.

22 Likes

Thank you :heart: These threads are the only reason I still have an account here to be honest so it’s nice to know they’re still being enjoyed and useful.

That being said, if we can’t drum up 50 votes on these 2 artists then I’m not sure you people deserve to have ears, let alone HGATR threads! :wink:

17 Likes

best regular threads on the boards atm imo

16 Likes

My “cool-uncle” music teacher once put on the Temptations biopic to kill some time in class, and I remember it being an absolute rollercoaster of a film, albeit one which apparently bends the truth a fair bit. Properly got me into the band and Motown in general, so that was an inspired bit of half-arsed teaching.

At some point one of the Temptations rocks up to the studio having written the arrangement for “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”, and another member who he’s been feuding with goes ballistic because “the third of September” actually was “the day [his] daddy died”, but they refused to change the lyrics. I remember thinking that was a particularly messed-up stunt to pull on one of your bandmates! Again, all a load of bollocks artistic licence, as it turned out. But the song sounded absolutely out of this world, just mind-bendingly good.

“Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” is a banger too:

Haven’t heard much by the Four Tops but I’ll be investigating today. Excellent threadwork all round!

7 Likes

Also this is one of the all-time great pay-offs to a running gag:

I’ve always really liked the use of reference by Billy Bragg.

When the world falls apart somethings stay in place

3 Likes

For the Four Tops, 4, tops. Very good singles act, have to be in the mood for a whole album though.

5 for The Temptations, who have had at least five different members who I’d be happy to hear singing the phone book.

Gonna go with a pair of 4s I think. Both with undeniable all time bangers to spare, but a fair bit of fluff too. Dunno man, it’s tricky.

Have serious class resentment towards motown, because in my extremely limited experience it was something that like every fancy middle class house had some compilation CD of and I never heard it anywhere else. The only time I went to Shoreditch I went to a club that only played motown and I had no idea how to dance to it, and some girl that was in my group was rude to me, and I had no idea how to interact with all these fancy people talking about graduate schemes. I associate the Temptations with this mileau, though I’m not sure I could pick out any of thier tunes. More positively I’ve been listening to a lot of deep house over the last month or so and for some reason that’s making the motown thing click as well.

1 Like

Always hated My Girl. I don’t like those kind of schmaltzy strings. But more important than that, it just reminds me of films, adverts and Radio 2.

I love everything I know by both artists, it’s just I can count the number of songs by either off the fingers of one hand! If someone gives me a top 10 I’ll work through it in the next 24 hours

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have enjoyed your contributions to the wider forum regardless of the great work you put into running these threads. Obviously the only thing that matters is whether you enjoy it - I hope for the sake of the boards that in time you do find yourself drawn back in for the fun and not solely out of duty.

13 Likes

Absolutely this. Really feeling all the losses to the forum this week and I’d be so enormously gutted if ID left totally :frowning: (although understand if it’s necessary for wellbeing)

3 Likes

I’ll do you a playlist on my next visit to the can!

1 Like

This performance is a real tonic, it’s so loose and joyful, always perks me up

4 Likes

Here you go!

7 Likes

:pray: thank you ID! I do love a bit of Motown but it’s mostly from Best Of albums rather than exploring back catalogues.

1 Like

Tbh all the best stuff was put out as singles so each artist’s Best Of is a good place to start.

1 Like