đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” The Horrors

“Politics doesn’t mean anything to me. The stuff that gets discussed on Newsnight isn’t relevant to me, and it’s pretty much not relevant to anyone. I don’t think you get anything from voting. I find it funny that someone would vote for another person, whether it’s on Celebrity Big Brother or as a politician, on the basis that they could imagine going for a drink with them. I just think voting is for people who don’t have their own imagination. It’s for a different generation. You’re not accomplishing anything. The problem is, my opinion on it isn’t fully formed – the only thing I do think is that, realistically, voting doesn’t make a great deal of difference.”

Chomsky Faris Badwan, 2015

Had hopes that they would have released something incredible by now. Properly incredible, not incredible in the Primary Colours ‘surprisingly good’ sense but something that doesn’t feel as ‘safe’ as what they’ve put out so far.

As far as I’m aware they’re pretty sound and very good musicians who aren’t afraid to change things up a bit and not hide their influences but they do often lack something for me, bar a few moments per album.

In saying that, I’ve seen them live a few times because I’m typically a fan of electronic sounds mixed with shoegazey guitar and I think the bass player is very good at what they do and I’ve enjoyed myself despite not being blown away.

3/5

1 Like

Primary Colours and Flying/Skying both excellent with not much between them imo. Wasn’t that fussed about the couple of times I’ve seen them but they really manage to capture something in the studio. The intro to Endless Blue is an all timer.

6 Likes

I have 2 of their albums on cd somewhere.
Still couldn’t name one track, which is a shame as i remember there is one track on each of those albums i really liked.
Dull and muddy when i have seen them live too.

Used to want to like them more than i do.
2/5.

Really like them. For me Primary Colours was the practice and Skying is the home run. Would probably go as far as to say Skying is in my favourite albums of the last decade. Last two albums havent lived up to those two at all but still both enjoyable.

4 Likes

Like this.

1 Like

Not really sure why I’ve got ‘Flying’ in the poll instead of ‘Skying’ tbh.

1 Like

You’re just skying by the seat of your pants!

3 Likes

It’s a 5 from me.

Reasons

Primary Colours - One of the best British Albums of the last 20 years.

Something to Remember me by - One of the best songs of the last 20 years.

NB If you haven’t explored The Horrors beyond the singles then I can recommend ‘Change your mind’ and ‘Weighed Down’.
Another great track is ‘It’s a good life’ it’s quite moving when you realise it was written following the death of Peaches Geldof who Faris previously dated.

4 Likes

Just about a 3. I really liked Primary Colours, absolutely mystified by the glowing reception V received from critics.

I have a soft spot for them

And i don’t have a soft spot for many things so this is a large endorsement

3 Likes

V is an excellent album IMHO

1 Like

Preferred faris’s vocals when they were rougher though, still like his voice but it’s too smooth these days

1 Like

So under rated, this is an absolute show stopper

2 Likes

Josh was one of my best mates at school so it’s always nice to bump into him when they’re touring. Nice bunch of lads, some cracking songs as well.

6 Likes

I like some of their songs, I guess. Never been a band I’ve followed to a degree.

Something To Remember Me By, Who Can Say and Endless Blue are all really great and I’ll give them a 3 for them but I don’t really get a lot out of the albums I’ve heard. I’m glad Cat’s Eyes have been mentioned, The Duke Of Burgundy is a wonderful score, perfect for the film.

I really like this song and the abrupt turn it takes, half of it is this gauzy, slightly aimless drift then after about 5 minutes it turns into stadium rock mixed with a TARDIS dematerialisation.

Pretty awful. I’m always suspicious of bands who completely reinvent themselves for every record. Just feels like an empty, soulless exercise in pastiche. There’s the odd song that’s sort of ok though, almost by accident. 2.

Like that fella in your avatar?

31 Likes

excitement GIF

18 Likes