đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” The Jam

Hard 3. Slap bang in the middle of bands I don’t care enough to listen to, but don’t care enough to actively avoid. A mediocrity elevated to the pantheon by Q magazine and the NME, but they aren’t actively bad.

I have no feelings about them.

All these jokes about The Jam being better than The Clash are all very well, but will we get to do a HGATR on The Clash soon so we can really find out? :smiley:

I like it when I’m out for a run and Town Called Malice comes on shuffle. 2/5

How are people actually ranking?

1 - nails on chalkboard
2 - bad at music
3 - neutral
4 - good at music
5 - great

1 Like

Kylie Minogue scored comfortably higher than them too. Freaks my nut out.

Personally have been using each score as a quintile rather than an absolute. So 1 is the bottom 20% of all music, 5 is the top 20% etc.

1 Like

1 - bah!
2 - meh
3 - eh
4 - ooh
5 - hurrah!

2 Likes

1 - Genuinely dislike their output and struggle to understand what others see in them
2 - Some redeeming features and/or not for me but I can see why others might dig it
3 - Got to have at least some output that I really like, but could also have some duffers
4 - Really bloody good actually
5 - ATDs

11 Likes

Seconded

Pretty much nails it.

1 Like

This post isn’t my jam baby

They’re kinda ok aren’t they, without being anything to be especially excited about any more? I imagine they’d be held in higher regard if Weller had faded into obscurity after the band split up and that they probably felt more culturally relevant at the time. They seem to tap into that sense of suburban boredom pretty well
but it appears it’s all overshadowed by a haircut & choice of friends a few years later.

High 2 or a low 3 I guess?

Be more highly regarded if Weller didnt have that shit haircut in 2020

Give them a 3. Not my bag really but not terrible

Walls Come Tumbling Down by Style Council is better than anything The Jam did

2 Likes

Yes, this sums mine up too.

Occasionally I adjust my score up or down if other people don’t seem to be following this criteria :smiley:

2 Likes

They’re going to suffer badly for being loved by the kinds of people that disers look down on.
The music is meh but not that bad.

11 Likes

Yeah, if someone good is getting an unfair hearing then sometimes I’ll adjust upwards to compensate

1 Like

3/5

Prefer the earlier albums to the later albums, up to all Mod Cons really. Some great singles. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight, A Bomb On Wardour Street and The Modern World are all decent.

But Paul Weller is a proper haircut wanker

I think I saw them supporting Clutch at the Bull & Gate once.

1 Like

All this talk of Weller’s haircuts, can we not pause to think about the fact Bruce Foxton had a mullet about 10 years before everyone else?

foxton

This is great, they’re only like 19 or something.

(don’t read the comments underneath - it’s real “proper haircut” territory)

3 Likes