🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Levellers

I have scored The Levellers 5 points out of 5 and I shall explain why when I’m not so busy.

2 Likes

They did in 92. I was a very fresh faced 17 year old. A very hot dry Glastonbury.

They were second to Carter in 1992, but did indeed headline in 1994.

Saw them setting up their Beautiful Days festival when we were down at Mrs Roughyed’s family in August. Was surprised how small it looked.

Not them personally setting it up obviously.

Who the hell is Carter?!

You know what I was like 4 I don’t know why I’m asking

really? oh well, long time ago.

Biggest crowd ever apparently (300k+). Helped no doubt by the Lionel Richie cameo

But they don’t exist?

Skunk Anansie headlined Glastonbury in the 90s too.
And perhaps one day they will again.

1 Like

At least they exist even if that’s also quite silly

Mental isn’t it? Bigger crowd than Oasis at Knebworth and everyone spaffs themselves silly over that

5 Likes

I despise their music. Sorry. 1

Possibly the only band that I’ve ever absolutely LOVED and then completely moved on from and never listen to. Was obsessed with them in the early 90s - had a long sleeved levellers t-shirt that I would tie around my waist to accompany every outfit (never actually wore it as a t-shirt natch) with the Levellers logo proudly covering my arse so that everyone could tell how serious my fandom was. As was the fashion at the time. Was well into the whole crusty scene at that time - felt like a genuine alternative/DIY scene and an actual alternative to late stage capitalism. Saw them live once at Brixton Academy on the third album tour - felt like such a massive occasion, and they were brilliant live. And then all of a sudden, I just stopped listening and never went back. Would still happily listen to New Model Army for example (my other big love at that time) but something about the Levellers will always be routed in being a teenager in the 90s for me.

That said, I’m glad they’re still going and doing their thing even if it isn’t for me. Nice to see that their DIY ethos persists and they put on their own festival every year. Was going to go for a 3, but teenage me would be utterly horrified by that so bumping it up to a 4 :+1:

9 Likes

Ha ha! Carter USM are my favourite band.

They headlined Glastonbury in 1992 but because it wasn’t on TV, and because Carter are really uncool in the eyes of people who make TV shows about Glasto, it never happened.

2 Likes

Had a quick flock through there and, nope, no idea. Late 80s/early 90s British music was wild eh

1 Like

really hate that one way or another I’m gonna get ya get ya get ya! song

truly irritating B&Q advert stuff

2/5

2 Likes

I had no idea Carter USM were so big, they were a pointless answer on Pointless the other day for UK number ones in 1992, would never have thought they got to number 1. Was trying to think of bands like Wonder Stuff.

1 Like

That’s Blondie Bam…

2 Likes

Jeremy from the Levellers played bass on it, in fairness

What? :open_mouth: