🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Notorious B.I.G.

I really struggle to articulate why Biggie doesn’t really do it for me but I think it can probably be boiled down to his smoothness/effortlessness when I tend to value dexterity more and prefer hip hop when it sounds hyped up and vital.

For some reason Biggie’s misogynistic/homophobic lyrics just seem to hit me a lot more uncomfortably than his peers as well. There’s something a lot more vicious about them that I struggle to articulate.

1 Like

I got techniques dripping out my buttcheeks
Sleep on my stomach so I don’t fuck up my sheets

Such a stupid but funny line that I doubt many people would have thought of

10 Likes

OH FUCK

Sorry everyone I take this all back

I’ve posted in the wrong thread, I thought this was the 2Pac thread

Pitfalls of 2 HGATR polls running at the same time laid bare by my idiocy

22 Likes

Lovely stuff :smiley:

11 Likes

The beats on stuff like machine gun funk are great too, no fuss but a real gritty groove to them

1 Like

Notorious gets a 3.5. I like him but I don’t love him.

Objectively see he’s got something pretty special and there’s a handful of jams I’ll stick on in good seasonable weather like we’re having now.

Will probably round up to a 4.

Yep, same applies for me and to 2Pac. There’s something about hearing the effort and sweat in someone’s work, which you couldn’t really avoid with, say, Wu-Tang. These two sound masterful but it almost makes me tune out from paying them full attention

1 Like

Sure, don’t actively seek it out a lot of the time so my knowledge is limited but it’s very cerebral interesting music a lot of the time, really puts you in a place and keeps you concentrating whereas bands are kind of easier to tune out into the background and take nothing from

Yeah, this basically.

I like it when artists in any genre sound like they’re doing what they’re doing because they absolutely have to be doing it and they’re giving it everything. I don’t really value cool effortlessness all that much with a few exceptions.

I guess I’m fairly similar about everything though really, give me a McTominay over a Pogba any day of the week innit.

1 Like

Juicy is such an obvious basic choice for best track, but it’s one of those truly perfect, flawless tracks to me. I don’t think there’s been a moment when hearing it hasn’t improved my mood, or just put a grin on my face

3 Likes
3 Likes

Music’s a funny old thing, eh? That cool effortlessness is why I love Biggie and Jay-Z (up to The Blueprint) so much. Biggie feels like he’s gliding over the beats in perfect symbiosis, whether it’s cool lady’s man, self-reflection, or terrifying man o’the streets.

Usual caveats with misogyny and homophobia but he’s a 5 for me.

2 Likes

Old? :white_check_mark:
Funny? :white_check_mark:
A thing? :white_check_mark:

Yeah, I’ll go with that

11 Likes

Music, bloody hell!

3 Likes

Sail away, sail away, sail away.

8 Likes

HGATR: 90’s hip hop edition: a game of 2 halves

2 Likes

Lovely

1 Like

Like 2Pac, only ever heard a couple songs, couldn’t even tell you which ones they were because for the same reasons, I never got out of 90s hip-hop and rap unless it was Wu-Tang related.

Maybe I’ll stick on Ready to Die and All Eyes on Me at work today to compare and see of I form any more of an opinion on them

All Eyes on Me is over 2 hours long FYI, so you’ll need another Biggie album to balance that out

Jesus Lord I already regret this

2 Likes