šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Offspring

Nana why donā€™t you get a job?
Listen buddy, my grandma worked hard all her life and deserves her retirement. Show some damned respect.

4 Likes

Think the Nirvana comparison is quite spot on, as much as I like Self Esteem as a song it is very marketed towards the ā€œgrungeā€ aesthetic created by the Smells Like Teen Spirit video.

Also, I know itā€™s a cover but gotta keep them separated is basically the same as Nirvanaā€™s version of Love Buzz

Upped my vote to 5 for a laugh

6 Likes

Canā€™t remember for sure, thatā€™s the last year I went, but it might have been earlier. I think Americana was still the most recent albumā€¦

There was a void after Nirvana and bands like The Offspring were well placed to attempt to fill it. Feel a tad bad about the 1 rating but itā€™s my honest gut reaction to them. They are a fun sounding band but thereā€™s nothing there that does anything for me and the whole feel of them, despite them having some very catchy songs feels off and a million miles away from what Punk really kind of means.

2 Likes

Kurtā€™s body was found the very day Smash came out. Coincidence?

6 Likes

While I agree with your cynicism about them (and I share it too Iā€™m not daft) I am actually a little surprised you donā€™t like Smash a bit more or that it saves some grace because it genuinely a very good album, but I guess is everything that came after just too much to reconcile?

1 Like

adds Dexter Holland and Noodles to the list of potential Kurt Cobain murderers underneath Courtney Love, that wrestler guy, Billy Corgan and Steve Coogan

6 Likes

I didnā€™t know this but am getting a weird kind of symmetry reading this now.

2 Likes

Week of my first ever football match. I chose Burnley. No wonder that weekā€™s made the world go downhill ever since.

shudders

4 Likes

Smash is full of great songs and as such is a good record. I donā€™t hate them or hate on them. I do find them shallow and the Sony Punk really big selling records feel really formulaic taylor designed to sell shedloads, marketed as Punk which is the antithesis of the genre they kind of represent. Kudos for being a gateway band at best, but thatā€™s it.

Should add the lead singer, no idea of his name has done some notably work with Jello Biafra but hey, they are poor.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re about as much as ā€œpunkā€ as chicken tikka is ā€œhot and spicy.ā€ But Iā€™m ok with them being called ā€œpunk-popā€/ā€œpop-punkā€ as Itā€™s a far snappier title than ā€œpower pop played by men with improper haircuts and trouser length for 43ā€

2 Likes

Very loudly. With mixed results.

1 Like

I guess what I meant was, yes they did become big corporate sell outs, but can you keep Smash, the greatest selling independent record of all time, separated? :wink:

Smash is a decent record for sure but thereā€™s no depth to the band. No insight, good with beer maybe - but when you have a platform like they did, from the genre they represented back then, they could have done more but chose some cartoon Punk laced with chasing the dollar Nevermind nodded at so knowingly.

I think youā€™re overthinking my question slightly, but I appreciate the insight all the same :wink:

My problem in this instance is that for me, I just think they do what they do badly, apart from a couple of singles. I like a lot of Blink 182.

1 Like

Oh man this is tough. Another one of those bands - like Green Day, actually - where thereā€™s a very distinct cut-off point prior to which you could argue them as a 4 or 5 based on several classic albums and what they single-handedly did for the independent punk scene in the 90s.

But then theyā€¦ they just kept on goingā€¦ and we ended up with Bumpinā€™ In My Trunk.

Giving them a 3, but really it should be a 4 for the years up to and including 2000, and a 1 for just about everything since.

what did they do?